How many happy JW marriages do you know of?

by Bonnie_Clyde 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Clyde and I were happy for about the first 10 years of our marriage. He was 22 and I was 21 when we married as JW's. Then, very gradually Clyde started to change, and I couldn't understand it. He was less interested and involved with the "truth." Finally things deteriorated to the point where we talked about divorce after 30 years of marriage. We went through about five very rough years. I was trying to "hang on" and he was getting disgusted with everything. I couldn't understand why the husband I had loved so much could be so difficult to live with. He was always criticizing the elders, the Watchtower, the Organization. Thankfully, I never turned him in as I believe he could have been DF'd for some of the things he said.

Finally, about 9 years ago I began having doubts of my own and started investigating on the Internet. That's when our marriage began to get better, and I will say that we are truly happy with each other again although it was painful along the way. Though I regret the happiness we missed, we try to look forward to the future. Another marriage almost wrecked by the Borg

• TIMBOB
    TIMBOB

I know for sure of 1. My parents. Even though they may have an argument here and there, they are truly happy.

But, in my opinon why there are so many unhappy marriages(not just in the org. but everywhere) is because people get married too young. I will say the witnesses somewhat encouage this. Not so much getting married young, but if young people are going to date(which ALL young people are) they should have the view of marriage in mind. I set my mind in the total opposite direction. I was dating this one girl a few years ago and someone asked if they thought we gonna get married anytime soon, they were almost shocked when I told em I wasnt sure if I was going to get married to this girl. WHen they asked why we were dating then, I said UMM, to get to know each other. How else do you find out if you want to marry if dont get to know them.

Now, as some people mature faster then others, many of these 20yr olds(including myself) are NOT adults and still have changes to go through. Which is why after a year or 2 of marriage, every bit of infatuation as left and the couple finds out that it actually takes work to make a relationship work, which is at this point where many want out as it wasnt what they thought it was.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wedding.....Very few..Most are misserable..

• 5go
    5go
    I'm so glad I never got married.

The same here, though I wish I could of had sex once.

• Illyrian
    Illyrian

Few but not many, seems like many witnesses rush into a marriage and then latter scratch behind their ears about what they have to live with. Witness marriages are no more thought through before the plunge than a farmer thinks about buying a cow or a bull. Sad to say but true.

• 5go
    5go
    But, in my opinon why there are so many unhappy marriages(not just in the org. but everywhere) is because people get married too young. I will say the witnesses somewhat encouage this. Not so much getting married young, but if young people are going to date(which ALL young people are) they should have the view of marriage in mind. I set my mind in the total opposite direction. I was dating this one girl a few years ago and someone asked if they thought we gonna get married anytime soon, they were almost shocked when I told em I wasnt sure if I was going to get married to this girl. WHen they asked why we were dating then, I said UMM, to get to know each other. How else do you find out if you want to marry if dont get to know them.

No, I think it is because marrige has become a vestigle custom from a time long past. It literally in it's modern form marriage is mutual slavery. Which kind of disagrees with a culture that prides it self on freedom and eliminating all forms of slavery.

• emptywords
    emptywords

I know a large handful of JW's who claim that the religion saved their marriages. They feel very triumphant about this, but I think that they are just settling for a crappy situation and then patting themselves on the back for sticking it out "for Jehovah." Maybe if they would choose their mate based on compatibility instead of works they would be happy in the first place and they wouldn't have to brag about how they stay married to someone they don't really love for the sake of their religion.

You said it all.............exactly

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Those I was close to had strong elements of control and disagreement on strongly held desires in life (kids). I wouldn't call them happy, but content in their mutally agreed upon roles in everyday life. You know, for the most part, anyone can agree on that, but that doesn't mean two people are each others' best friend!

• under_believer
    under_believer

I don't know very many happily married Witness couples.

On the other hand, I also don't know of very many happily married non-Witness couples either. It's my opinion that the incidence of unhappy Witness marriages is not any higher than the statistical average for the population as a whole.

Even if I'm right there's still a great point to observe, which is that Witnesses teach that their headship principle and being immersed in spirituality causes happy marriages. The huge number of Witness divorces that any Witness anywhere is aware of directly contradicts this fact.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I personally feel the JWS are no better and no worse than others, I've known some very happy marraiges, certainly pressured by all the extra work and responsibility of the borg, however, if a couple did put into practice a lot of the bible advice they wouldn't go far wrong would they?

Before you flame me, I am divorced and also feel a couple can be happily married without bible advice, but sometimes I miss the morals of my old group of witness friends, and find I dont trust so easily. Not saying witnesses cant commit adultery and be as immoral as the next person but in my heart I still feel the majority tried very hard not to.

In my family of 4 well brought up goody two shoes witnesses, all pioneers, two divorces out of three marraiges.

Poppy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit