NY times magazine today

by lrkr 2 Replies latest jw friends

• lrkr
    lrkr

Light and darkness — heavenly forces and a corrupted earth — are the twin engines of apocalyptic movements. For Christians awaiting rapture or Shiites counting the days until the Twelfth Imam appears, the trials and injustices of the known world are a prelude for the paradise that we can imagine but can’t yet achieve. Judging by the sheer number of predicted end dates that have come and gone without the trumpets blowing and angels rushing in, we are a people impatient to see our world redeemed through catastrophe — and we are always wrong. Gnostics predicted the imminent arrival of God’s kingdom as early as the first century; Christians in Europe attacked pagan territories in the north to prepare for the end of the world at the first millennium; the Shakers believed the world would end in 1792; there was a “Great Disappointment” among followers of the Baptist preacher William Miller when Jesus did not return to upstate New York on Oct. 22, 1844. The Jehovah’s Witnesses have been especially prodigious with prophetic end dates: 1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, 1975 and 1994. Any religious movement with an end-time prophecy is certain to attract followers, no matter how maniacal or fringy (witness the Branch Davidians). For those who want to go online and get the latest tally of bad news, there is a nuclear Doomsday Clock and the Rapture Index. If you remember living through Y2K, that was another millenarian moment — except our computer systems were redeemed by the same code writers who corrupted them in the first place.

I was reading the NY times magazine this morning and I saw this. So true- and end time prophecy is bound to attract followers- until the time comes and no end comes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/magazine/01world-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Great magazine, great article! Thanks lrkr.

Related to this topic, I highly recommend this book:

Apocalypses: Prophecies, Cults, and Millenial Beliefs Through the Ages

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

People think the end is comming so they want to be saved.

In business its called create a need and fill it.

Forcast the end of the world.

Then sell tickets on the ark.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit