The End of Faith- How Sam Harris defined it.

by nvrgnbk 26 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Good points Blueblades.

Aren't the babies being born today, in their majority, going to grow up in a more rational and more secular world than those born a century ago?

I hope so.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

NRV. The world has changed dramatically in just a few short years! There is nothing rational about what is going on in the middle east, europe, Iran and Iraq! A more rational and more secular world is not so forth coming. There does not seem to be an end to this struggle that is on-going. War is the day to day life for many around the world.

Who will be first to use WMD? I hope no one. But, if and when that should happen, you can forget about secularism and rationalilty. There are who are determined to end our way of life and are not going to stop terrorism. Until this terrorism is ended, what Harris and those who support his ideas want will never see the light of day.

I'm being a realist, a person that is concerned with real things and practical matters. We all need to face the facts.

Blueblades

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I fear you may be right Blueblades.

But, maybe, just maybe, some of the kids watching their world being ripped apart will see religion as an obstacle to peace and understanding.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I think things can change if the 'respect barrier' to religion can be demolished. More people are speaking openly about what they think of religion, and I think that's the key.

Having faith is believing in something without evidence. Someone mentioned we could have faith the sun will rise tomorrow... no, we can track our orbit around the sun, we can measure where the sun is in its life, we can say with 99.99999999999999999% certainty the sun will rise tomorrow. Faith is using 0% certainty.

It could be similar to when homosexuals became more vocal. The more that speak up, the more will feel it's okay to join us, and eventually, society's attitude could change. I think with the danger religion has brought throughout history, it can no longer be ignored in this nuclear age. If we want our species to survive, it may come down to criticising religious beliefs openly and without fear. Before it's too late.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I think things can change if the 'respect barrier' to religion can be demolished.

Excellent point, and key to the author's argument. To allow "moderate" Christianity and Islam to exist free from condemnation for intellectual dishonesty, while attacking the "radical" branches of such faiths is at the root of the problem.

All religion should be made to prove it's assertions, without hiding behind ancient texts.

If we want our species to survive, it may come down to criticising religious beliefs openly and without fear. Before it's too late.

Thank you serotonin_wraith.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Debating religious people and getting people to see sense is probably my biggest passion right now.

Religion does so much harm.

The indoctination of children- putting the fear of hell or armageddon in children too young to think for themselves is mental abuse. Telling your child you'll punch them in the face if they're naughty = bad. Telling your child they'll burn forever if they don't believe in your religion = acceptable? WHY?

Wars- Most religions are fought in the name of one god or another. Now that we have nuclear weapons, people with sense need to speak up NOW so that we don't destroy this planet. We're the first species to reach the capability of doing so.

Discriminating aginst gays- There is absolutely no good reason to be doing this, unless a book a couple of thousand years old tells you to. (In other words, there is no reason to be doing this).

Holding back science- Stem cell research can continue unobstructed in countries such as the UK and Denmark, because the voice of religion is smaller. Unfortunately, there are still some countries with the mental capacity of stone age humans that are stopping the human race progress as it should. America, I'm looking at you.

Global Warming- How many people are not going to do a damn thing to prevent this, because they feel Jesus is going to come back and save the day? Their unfounded beliefs could make our future children suffer.

Sexism- Women are just as good as men, it's been PROVEN. The only people still behind the times in this regard are the religious.

Independent thought- DESTROYED by religion. You can't think for yourself, you have to live your life according to what the Pope/group of old men living in NY/insert your leader here says.

Keeping people dumb- Evolution has been proven. The real age of the Universe has been proven. Who keeps the masses believing an invisible man in the sky made the Earth in 6 days, and created the first humans by taking some dirt and breathing into it? The RELIGIOUS!

Why more people aren't speaking up is beyond me. If I am ever asked 'Why don't you respect people's religious beliefs?' I'm going to ask them why the hell they DO respect people's religious beliefs?!

• Open mind
    Open mind

I guess the dubs were right after all. All you nasty secular types are gonna eventually get religion attacked. And then when you're dumb enough to try making the dubs play along.............ZAPPO!!! No more pokin' the Divine cornea.

It's all about the dubs, see?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit