Can/Should someone be in love with more than one person?

by AK - Jeff 30 Replies latest social relationships

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Not a question that affects me personally - I am dutifully bound to a single woman now for 33 years [OMG that is 1/3 of a century already].

But do you believe that it is possible or profitalble to fall in love with more than one person at the same time? In western culture it is normally considered 'betrayal' to do such a thing - but thoughout history and in cultures outside of the west today - it is considered acceptable, even normal.

Typically it is the man who has more love interests than just one - not the woman - but some cultures have supported multiple partners for women also.

This is not a thread about judging others - just an inquiry about opinion. I start it as I head to work, but hope to check it when I return with lots of interesting ideas and thoughts.

Jeff

• John Doe
    John Doe

I think it depends on the people in questions. A lot of people wouldn't have a problem with it, but friends and family would not understand. The extra pressure that would cause would make such a relationship seem like not a good idea.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LOL I think it would be exhausting!

But do you believe that it is possible or profitalble to fall in love with more than one person at the same time?

I'm sure it's possible. I don't get the profitable part of the question?

Typically it is the man who has more love interests than just one - not the woman - but some cultures have supported multiple partners for women also.

I frankly don't care what adults do with their lives I only am concerned when children are involved. It's not the best situation to bring up children in because they need/deserve a stable life in which to grow and be nurtured in. That said if there is no intent of ever having children or you are beyond the child bearing years, whatever floats yer boat.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It happens all the time. . My observation is that someone ultimately gets hurt or someone suffers when this happens.. Just being infatuated with another person can cause one to treat their first love less kindly or attentively. Someone once told me, "You can't help who you fall in love with." I think that's true. And with that in mind, it's always good to use caution and keep up your guard. Why allow yourself to fall in love with two people? If you already love somebody, why be goofy and let it happen again?

• Warlock
    Warlock

How about 3 people?

Me, myself, and I.

Warlock

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Of course one "can" be in love with more than one person. Should they? Only, if they want to be miserable!

Cog

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Jeff:

I need more clarification regarding the use of
    the word "profitable" written in your article.

However, back to the original question. Can
    someone be in love with more than one person?

From my own experience, the answer is yes.

Why?

This can happen on a job or during work when
    two people spend allot of time together in
    that capacity.

What starts off as work relationship can
    become a "working relationship ", through
    commonalities, interests and more quality
    time spent together than a person's spouse
    or significant other.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Your friend,

Richard

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I have to agree with Richard...many times it happens to us with work relationships.

I think not only is it possible to love more then one person, I think it happens all the time. The real question is what do you do with it. Most of us have choosen not to act upon those feelings, since the consequenses far outweigh what we would get out of having muliple relationships. JMO

Leslie

• Twitch
    Twitch

Yes, quite possible as it happens all the time. You don't choose the people who you find attractive, sometimes irresistable.

Should it happen this way? Don't know 'bout that one. It's been too complicated in my experience. Can't say for others.

As for myself, one is enough and I like to sleep at night, for the most part.

• snarf
    snarf

I think you can love many different people for different reasons, but to be IN love with soemone, I think you need to know their most annoying habits and inner workings and accept them to truly be IN love, and I don't spend enough time with anyone other than Hubby to know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit