Education Talk from Follow the Christ DC

by FadingAway 21 Replies latest jw friends

• zack
    zack

The whole premise is faulty. The tine is haughty. It sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    44% of college students binge drink

i think its higher among bethel workers

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    I cant immagine an easier job than being a teacher. Plus they teach the same thing over and over. Its like an entertainer singing a song.

Well I would have to disagree with that... I'm not a teacher, but I can easily imagine that job being very challenging but rewarding as well. They may be teaching the same thing over and over, but they're teaching it to different people. Teaching effectively is truly an art. After getting my bachelors recently, I can count on one hand truly effective teachers I encountered - not to say the ineffective ones wern't trying - but they do not have the art of teaching. They may be better researchers, or better one-on-one, but not good at teaching groups. Then there's grading - imagine having 50 20-page finals to grade without an assistant. Or better yet, 50 6-page essays that you have to read through individually, making notes, and coming up with some kind of evaluation for grading. That's 300 pages of material. Many teachers don't have teacher's assistants, even at most four-year universities. Only certain classes lend themselves to that - like the sciences where your answer is either right or wrong. Where more subjective evaluation is required, its common for professors to do most of their own grading, as long as they're not reasearch professors. And this isn't even talking about grade-school teachers.

I had one teacher who taught a breif, 6-weeks course on economics - very dense stuff. He had a photographer come in and take all our pictures, then memorized our names and faces within a week. About 45 people. Just so he could call us by our names when we raised our hands. Now that's dedication. I admired him greatly for that - and as a result I took the class more seriously and respected the opinions of others - all due to the climate of respect he set in the class.

Anway, I guess I'm saying that being a bad teacher could be easy, but certainly not a good teacher.

• barry
    barry

I just listened to the talk and its amazing how two different cults could be so different. The SDA religion actually promotes higher education and they have their own colleges. Of course higher education has its own problems for cults like thinking for oneself and it does cause some problems for the SDA leadership when people are trained to be smart.

The speaker brought up old memories at the Kingdom Hall of how much they use the word Jehovah, constantly.

• Illyrian
    Illyrian

I think a very good test of efficiency of Watchtower education would be how many attendees can recite what they have listened to after three days of undivided attention.

Watchtower society is the master of dodging the facts and presenting only the side that fits them. It is true that not everyone with degree can easily find the job in their profession, which would mean one should have more than that INCLUDING degree plus preferably some experience, certainly not less than that. Right now there are even so many PhDs in some areas[ref] that graduates are required to do postdoc research in order to be able to distinguish themselves.

• Illyrian
    Illyrian

Just finished listening to the talk. So these are my notes:

Basic education can help us to acquire ability to think logically - henceforth, higher education would do even more so.

Basic education helps us to speak clearly - So why then do you then have Theocratic Ministry school??

Higher education helps advancing of present system of things - Next time I hear one JW speaking of how they are productive members of community I will spit in their face. No other religious organization demands the full use of everything this world has to offer from medicine to law like J Witnesses do.

Sister Tracy Fuentes couldn't find work after 4 years of studying Kinesiology (the scientific study of human movement [ref] - That just means she made a very stupid decision in choosing her degree.
    Why would anyone in their right mind choose to study Kinesiology and think they can get away without at least medical school after that??!!?? Had she studied engineering of any sort by now she could have been a millionaire or at least have a very good salary.

Choosing a degree isn't any different to making any other business decision. IF you make a stupid decision of course you will suffer. That of course does not automatically mean that every other businessman/woman makes the same type of moronic decisions and that business is B.A.D Nor can it serve as a basis for advising other people against going into business. So this example is absolute disservice to watchtower society and anyone with half a brain will see through it.

• moshe
    moshe

College is a business in itself. They have old professors with tenure that must be paid even, if their courses might not be as important to society as they were 30 years ago when the professor started teaching. I suspect that colleges do not offer voluntary disclosure to students that the degree they are working towards will likely not result in any employment offers in that field.It's no wonder that students end up without a job when they graduate. As a side note--- I just wish all religions provided disclosure before a person could become a member. I want to join the religion that has a 90% success ratio on prayers answered, not 10%- heh, heh!

• Highlander
    Highlander

Sister Tracy Fuentes couldn't find work after 4 years of studying Kinesiology (the scientific study of human movement [ref] - That just means she made a very stupid decision in choosing her degree. Why would anyone in their right mind choose to study Kinesiology and think they can get away without at least medical school after that??!!?? Had she studied engineering of any sort by how she could have been a millionaire or at least have a very good salary.
    Agreed,,, and instead of blaming higher education as the problem, she should be accountable for, and accept what was her own bad decision.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Gotta defend Kinesiology here. The formal study of the science of kinesiology, (not the esoteric "muscle testing" often inaccurately labeled "kinesiology" and for which there is no accredited degree by a reputable DOE institution,) is a valuable degree that can be developed into or used by all manner of careers, including physical therapy, massage therapy, movement education, special needs, physical training, therapy assistance, etc.

If this sister had a "worthless" B.S. degree in Kines, it's probably because she just simply is not employable for various reasons, the most likely being that she doesn't want to work normal hours like a normal person, so she can "pioneer."

Just saying...

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    I suspect that colleges do not offer voluntary disclosure to students that the degree they are working towards will likely not result in any employment offers in that field.It's no wonder that students end up without a job when they graduate.

If you're smart enough to survive college yet stupid enough to not research your future career options, then I don't know what to say. College is not designed to get people jobs. That's what technical schools are for. Training is different than education. Training teaches you how to perform a function, task, or specific job. Education teaches you how to think. There's no comparison.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit