Why, why can't a girl start the lawn Mower?

by restrangled 60 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

mysterious is right.

Pull hard and fast. Seriously. It took me several tries before I finally got the knack of it.

It's a matter of speed. Get tough with it.

BSoM couldn't you like um break a nail doing that?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Nvrgnbk,

Maybe the Universe wants you to take a much deserved break r.

Thanks, thats it..... I am leaving again Tuesday and if the lawn gets to 10 inches it is not my prob., Thanks for your input. (With 2 strong fellas in the house they better get his handled!) r.

• hubert
    hubert

First, make sure the thottle lever is on "choke", if it has one, or on "start". Pushh the "prime" button two or three times, if it has one.

Put the mower on a flat area, away from the grass, such as cement walk, or driveway. Then pull the chord. If you are on the grass, the grass will drag against the cutting blade, and will impede the blade from spinning fast enough to start.

Hubert

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Thanks, thats it..... I am leaving again Tuesday and if the lawn gets to 10 inches it is not my prob., Thanks for your input. (With 2 strong fellas in the house they better get his handled!) r.

See that r? The Universe loves you.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

bikerchic:

hahahahahaha.....what nails???

Me? Nope, no nails. I mean, I have nails. Just not pretty ones.

Not anymore.

I gave up. Now, they're short and stubby. Ready for gardening stuff and lawn mowing....although, my husband would prefer that I do not.

He gets sorta picky about that stuff.....

sheesh men....

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hubert thank for you r input.

Here's the deal, I have a very nice Sears model, and I am suppose to prime 3 times....times 3. It worked great for awhile, but now I can't pull the damn string fast enough. My son is at work, and husband asleep. I really don't think its fair that girls don't have enough strength to get a mower going.

That was my point. In the end I will be doing the lawn. It really sucks bigtime.

r.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Depending on the mower in question, things to check:

1) key in start position (if there is a key)

2) fuel selector not in bypass setting (if there is a selector)

3) safety handle properly depressed (if required)

4) primer bulb fully depressed specified # of times (if appropriate)

5) firm, quick, full pulls of starter cord

If it won't start after about 3 proper pulls, then it's time to get creative because it isn't you it's the mower.

Things to do at that point:

1) Is the fuel old? dump it start with fresh

2) Oil at proper level. Some mowers have a sensor that can tell the level.

3) As mentioned, did you flood it?

4) is the plug OK?

5) Check air filter. If suspect, attempt to start (But for God's sake don't mow with it!) with the air filter removed exposing the carb. Again, this is for test purposes only.

6) With air filter removed, apply a small amount of starter fluid. Just a spritz, yer not trying to spray paint with the stuff cause you'll ruin your engine with too much of it.

7) Remove bowel from carb. Check for debris and clean as needed.

Ah yes, Hubert got the one I forgot, and posted while I was typing - the choke setting. Very important, that

Those are the things I do when my small motors start giving me fits.

• hubert
    hubert

Restrangled, No offense, but Sears mowers suck.

(I used to repair mowers, so I know).

Don't forget to put the mower on the cement to start it.

Hubert

• kwr
    kwr

Are you trying to start it on the lawn or on concrete. You should never start a lawn mower on the lawn.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Are you trying to start it on the lawn or on concrete. You should never start a lawn mower on the lawn.
    ) key in start position (if there is a key)

2) fuel selector not in bypass setting (if there is a selector)

3) safety handle properly depressed (if required)

4) primer bulb fully depressed specified # of times (if appropriate)

5) firm, quick, full pulls of starter cord

If it won't start after about 3 proper pulls, then it's time to get creative because it isn't you it's the mower.

Things to do at that point:

1) Is the fuel old? dump it start with fresh

2) Oil at proper level. Some mowers have a sensor that can tell the level.

3) As mentioned, did you flood it?

4) is the plug OK?

5) Check air filter. If suspect, attempt to start (But for God's sake don't mow with it!) with the air filter removed exposing the carb. Again, this is for test purposes only.

6) With air filter removed, apply a small amount of starter fluid. Just a spritz, yer not trying to spray paint with the stuff cause you'll ruin your engine with too much of it.

7) Remove bowel from carb. Check for debris and clean as needed.

OMG! TMI! <runs from the room singing......I'm glad being a girl.....lalalalalalalalalalalaaaaaa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit