What is significant about 9/11?

by Seeker 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

Many JWs have become excited by the events of 9/11 in the U.S., thinking that this is a definite sign of the imminent end of the system. We have seen online JWs talking about how these awful events were "prophecied in the Bible" and how this is proof that Armageddon is near. We have heard reports of local JWs saying the same things, including many of our family members. We all know how every bad event in the world is viewed by JWs as being significant. My question is: Why? What is significant about 9/11?

Now before I get castigated for "being so callous about the loss of 5,000 men, women, and children," let me point out I don't mean my question in that sense. Any time there is loss of life it is awful, and significant, especially for those directly connected to those killed. What happened in NYC and Washington was horrific and a crime against humanity on its deepest level. OK? We're cool again? Now let me explain what I meant:

Is this the first time the world has had to deal with the threat of terrorism? No, other parts of the world have been dealing with this threat for a long time.

Is this the first time terrorists hit the U.S.? No, it wasn't even the first time terrorists blew something up at the World Trade Center.

Is this the first time 5,000 innocent civilians died? No, far more have died in other atrocities throughout the world.

Is this the first time the world has come together to fight an enemy? No, World War II is a recent example of far more action by that nations of the world to fight an enemy.

If this leads to world war, will this be the first time that happened? No, it would be at least the 4th or 5th time the world went to war (or at least the 3rd, if you only go by those wars actually labelled "World War").

If nuclear weapons get used, will that be the first time that happened? No, it would be the third time it has happened.

If biological weapons get used, will that be the first time that happened? No, it has happened before.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what is unique about 9/11 other than the location and the scope. Americans aren't used to this, and the world isn't used to seeing planes used as missiles, and many people died at once, but in every major measuring stick there is nothing that happened on 9/11 or what it may lead to down the road that the world hasn't seen before.

So why is there so much talk about this leading to Armageddon? What is unique about this time? Is it just American-centric thinking, that now that it has happened "here" it really counts? I realize the average JW may have little clue about the waves of history, and jumps every time there is a loud noise, thinking Armageddon is here, but what about exJWs who are rushing back to the organization? What is the significance of 9/11 that makes them think this is "it," whereas all those other events in the past weren't?

• r51785
    r51785

You make some good points Seeker but the most important one relates to "American-centric thinking." Many terrible things have happened throughout human history but this is probably the worst thing that has happened on American soil in quite some time. Most Americans knowledge of history or even current events outside America is pitiful. Therefore this tragedy is magnified and given special significance.

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Seeker:

I think the reason ex-witnesses are returning is quite simple..

They still have that "fear" gene programmed into them and it hasn't quite been extinguished yet.. So, "fear" drives them back, because as you said, as a witness you are 'trained' to interpret every little bang as the 'signs of the times' indicating the start of Armageddon..

What needs to be done is somehow to deprogram the ex-witnesses to lose their 'fear' completely.. After all, it's the fear that is keeping them slaves to men, even as ex-witnesses!!!

• Seeker
    Seeker

Thank you both for your responses. So you agree that American-centric thinking as well as programmed fear play a part. I think the solution to both of those is a better knowledge of recent history and a better understanding of other nations.

I think the WTS has always been traditionally American in its outlook. Probably the GB is just as hopeful that maybe now, finally, this will be "it"! This may affect reform efforts, actually. If the GB were leaning toward moderation, beginning to despair of ever seeing the end come soon, maybe now they are once again anxiously thinking the end is "right around the corner."

• Moxy
    Moxy

im just wondering how many people actually ARE returning. in a WOL thread on the subject, the majority of posts lamented the lack of returnees since 9/11 ("don't they GET it??") and at the supplementary meeting the WT summary speaker actually chided those that had returned, questioning their motives and their ability to stick it out. i thought he might throw in an non-judgmental welcome too but he didnt. im sure this was atypical and partly due to the subject material but ill bet a lot of the folks that are going back will not stay long for whatever reason.

mox

• Si
    Si

As the above response says (and Madeline A.), "On American soil" is significant. How many Americans died on Vietnamese soil, or other soil? It's the indignity of the 'home' soil that seems to have created an impact. Realistically, Americans have killed lots of people on their 'home' soil.....oops!!

• larc
    larc

Seeker,

You raise an interesting and valid point. Why is this event any more important than any other? I think it is because the WT will latch on to any event that will stir the flock into a frenzy and get them more active. This has been the drill for over 120 years.
    If you go back to early Russell writings, you will find that the Napleanic Wars fulfilled Bible prophecy. How quaint.

PS.

I sure am glad that I have been a pioneer for the last 120 years.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The importance of 9/11...It give`s the jw`s one more shot at spewing bullshit!Don`t be afraid of bullshit!!!!!!

• fodeja
    fodeja
    im just wondering how many people actually ARE returning.

I'd really like to know that, too. My own guess is that if there is some "positive effect" (in the sense of people returning to the halls and field service), it's not going to last more than a couple of months. If you have reasons to leave, terrorist attacks won't make them disappear.

f.

• Julie
    Julie

What a surprise! More brilliant observations from my friend Seeker.

Seeker you are so right. Inasmuch as 9/11 has it's own unique aspects it really is nothing new. Back during the Crusades King Richard had about 5000 "infidel" captives. Apparently he and Saladin had some sort of disagreement on terms and so Richard ordered all the captives beheaded. It was taking too long so the Christians finally just went in and slaughtered them with whatever was handy. Of course the "infidels" were quick to do the same with their Christian captives. In all the chronicles I have read from the time the sentiments throughout Europe were consistently one of regret for the loss of Christian lives.

For all our advancements and enlightenment we haven't really changed much have we? One can't help but wonder if the world were free of religion and other various superstition could we finally grow up? *sigh*

Take care--
    Julie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit