Is the Flood Story True?

by JosephAlward 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

I know where you're making your mistake, you're not taking into consideration the division between the clean and unclean animals.

You are adding the unclean animals into the clean animals.

"You gotta keep 'em seperated"

God always divides clean from unclean. We should too.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Pom numbers:

2 pairs unclean animals (1 pair first, 1 more pair second)
    8 pairs clean animals (1 pair first, 7 pairs second)

That's what I understand Noah was commanded to do.

Alward responds:

Before we go further, please explain why you think seven pairs of clean came second, but only one pair of unclean. Look at the wording:

Gen 7:1-4
    2 Take with you seven of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate,

So, Pom, if "seven...a male and its mate" really means "seven pairs," then why doesn't "two....a male and its mate" mean "two pairs," too?

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"
    http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Joseph, I stand corrected. Thank you. The "unclean" number should be three. God corrects me in some of the most interesting ways and with the most unexpected people.

>>>Gen 7:1-4
    2 Take with you seven of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate,<<<

Seven pairs here.

>>and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate<<

TWO pairs here, as Joseph has shown.

So, the corrected numbers should be

8 pairs of birds (1 pair first, 7 pairs second)

3 pairs unclean animals (1 pair first, 2 more pairs second)

8 pairs clean animals (1 pair first, 7 pairs second)

>>Before we go further, please explain why you think seven pairs of clean came second, but only one pair of unclean.<<

Where do we go now?

• ISP
    ISP

I don't see how civilisation could have recovered so quickly......within a generation or so...........Nimrod was building the tower of babel........like where did he get all the stuff from? etc.

ISP

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Men are quite amazing.

Like, the pyramids and stuff?

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

>>The issue about the flood that I find so interesting is that supposedly all the animals were herbivores before the flood.<<

I personally don't believe they were.

>>Ok, we won't bother to ask why some had serious fangs, claws and talons.<<

Which is why I believe there were created predators. Good evidence is good evidence.

>>For some mysterious reason, after the flood, biblegod decrees that now many animals are carnivores.<<

Where in the Bible does it say that? I missed this part.

>>Um, what? So now that there are only two (or seven???) of each kind of animal they can hunt, kill and eat each other?<<

The physical evidence suggests they always did from their creation. It was only man enlightened by God to become a predator.

>>Why would they become carnivores by design only after there are supposedly so few of them? Wouldn't pretty much all of them but the highest on the food chain be extinct in a very short time? That sounds so absurd to me. Yet those who believe such things consider those who do not to be "unenlightened". What up with that?<<

I don't believe such things. But I do have to believe their predatory instinct program must have been altered to allow predator and victim to live side by side in the ark together.

Yeah, I know, another one of those goofy unannounced miracles by God.

• Pinoyluv691
    Pinoyluv691

Well,if you know, 7 days doesn't mean 7 literal days or a week, If you say my grandfather's day , it refers to his lifetime. And also, if you believe in God,Jehovah, You know He will provide. Now for the Animals, the whales and the fish and the dolphins, etc, could all SWIM because it was water. And Jehovah doesn't seperate bad from good because God LOVES all his creations.

• HyTech
    HyTech

Pinoyluv691,

God LOVES all his creations? Is that why he destroys them all equally? No discriminating here. Just kill 'em all! Sounds like your Jehovah needs a good therapist! There are too many instances in the bible where he acts like a stubborn child instead of a loving father. Get your facts straight and READ your bible unbiasedly. You're sure to get more out of it that way.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Good point, HyTech.

What was the point of the flood, anyway? Why would God want to waste all those good things he allegedly created in those six famous days? And why did he create beings he *knew* in advance would disappoint him? That makes as much sense as intentionally dropping a heavy stone on your foot and then kicking it in anger because it
    hurt.

Few apologists dare to try to offer an coherent explanation for God's flood, and most claim that they won't do so because those who would ask for the explanation are pigs, and they don't throw pearls at swine. If they really had a decent explanation, however, they'd be quick to offer it, you can be sure of that.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"
    http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• The Quiet One

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit