Cooking Style....

by whyamihere 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Es
    Es

hubby and I are always cooking up a storm in the kitchen every weekend, we try new things all the time. I love cooking chinese dishes, and slow cooked meals where the meat just melts in your mouth.

And desserts I love trying out new desserts, I made a Baileys cheescake the other day, and a choc- ricotta cheesecake, both so yummy.

Es

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

My cooking style--various dishes, easy and quick as hell, yet tastes and looks like it took a long time!

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

no matter what i make, it has a new orleans flair to it. most people love my cooking, but, unless it's a louisiana dish, it is never authentic.

• snowbird
    snowbird

bttt

I bumped this thread because of Finally Free's reply:

I make steaks, salmon fillets, lasagna, cabbage rolls, perogies, stuffed peppers, homemade sausages, stir frys, roasts, BBQ ribs, borscht, soups, cakes, etc. I make everything from scratch. No pre-fabricated shit here.

ROFLOL

Snowbird

• Mum
    Mum

Snowbird, I love your new quilt avatar. I know you live near Gee's Bend. Is that quilt a creation of someone in your family?

As far as the question the thread is all about, I have a special fondness for Greek food, but little knowledge of how to prepare it; hence, I have a built-in excuse for going out to eat as much as I can. Otherwise, I like simple country food like Grandma used to make.

Regards,

SandraC of eclectic taste

• PEC
    PEC

I don't have to cook, I have a Wife, she trained for three years to be a chef and now she is my personal chef.

Philip

• snowbird
    snowbird

To stay on topic: (see I'm learning!) I saute a lot of vegetables in chicken broth and tomato sauce with very little meat. Make a batch of cornbread and a pitcher of sweet tea and you've got a meal.

Now SandraC you asked:

Snowbird, I love your new quilt avatar. I know you live near Gee's Bend. Is that quilt a creation of someone in your family?

No, it's not anyone in my family. It's a creation of Mary Lee Bendolph. You can read her story online in "Crossing Over" by J. R. Moehringer.

Snowbird

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

My cooking style is eclectic, spicy (but not over-chili'd), and generally quick and easy. I try to serve two vegetable dishes at each meal, and I allow vegetables to sneak into just about everything.

I used to make really good, solid whole-grain bread, before we were homeless for while and then moved into a damn trailer :( Space is the limiting factor – there just isn't room for a week's supply of bread in a little tiny trailer oven. In fact, I don't use the oven very much at all, except in the dead of winter – because that little oven is enough to (over)heat our entire trailer.

I don't know much about Asian cooking, but I do use a lot of Asian ingredients: red rice, black rice, soy sauce, chutneys, Asian vegetables, fresh shiitake and king trumpet mushrooms (I live near an Asian supermarket), Japanese instant soup stocks.

I've been something of a health food nut since my early 20s. I'm getting back into it – it might be more fair to say that never quite died out. So I'm making my own quark and yogurt again, insisting on whole-grain pasta (soba is my favorite), non-hydrogenated oils, non-homogenized milk... in fact about seven of the whole 9 yards.

For visual sample, click here.

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit