Millerite Adventism and Fred Franz

by Dogpatch 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

a gem from Barbara Anderson:

http://www.freeminds.org/women/barbara_anderson.htm

Millerite Adventism and Fred Franz

I believe that researchers have adequately confirmed the Millerite Adventism connection to Russell.

However, after Russell died, who in the organization was a Millerite man at heart? For what it's worth, it was none other than Fred Franz. I found out the connection when I was working in the Writing Dept. doing research for the Proclaimers book.

When I was going through each of his books in Fred Franz's personal library searching for some material that was thought to be there, I saw that Franz had extensive reading material about the Millerite movement. Much later after I left Bethel and was no longer attending the meetings, I was reading the book "MILLENNIAL FEVER AND THE END OF THE WORLD, A STUDY OF MILLERITE ADVENTISM,” by Georg R. Knight, (1993), and read statements that opened my eyes to where Franz's unusual interpretive “oracle” style of preaching came from--It was William Miller. In fact, when I was a new Witness attending one of my first large conventions in New York, I'll never forget Fred Franz's oratory. In one talk he bombastically told the audience that the initials "D. D." written after a clergyman's name does not stand for Doctor of Divinity, but stood for "Dumb Dogs." (Everyone applauded.) I don’t know if Rutherford ever used that statement, but if he did, I do know that Franz was a writer and researcher with the WT since the 1920s. In fact, he penned many of Rutherford’s lectures.

Getting back to when I was reading Knight's book: I found a paragraph on page 53 I'll never forget because it helped explain to me where Fred Franz got his material.

"From time to time he [Miller] felt himself pushed too far or too hard by his critics and would lash out. Thus he could refer to the clergy as 'DUMB DOGS,' 'ravening wolves,' 'Wise-heads,' and 'wiseacres' who loved the word 'reverend' attached to their names. God, he held, would ultimately deal with such 'priestly dandies,' who had their 'consciences cased in corsets of steel.''

Of great interest to me was Knight’s explanation of the Millerite movement found on page nine that could be explaining the Witness movement under Franz's direction:

"Beyond the usual sociological explanations that highlight external factors for that success, the present work argues that the vital internal dynamic that thrust the Millerites into the flow of history was a deep certainty, based upon concentrated study of the apocalyptic prophecies of Daniel and the Revelation, that Christ was coming soon and an impelling conviction of personal responsibility to warn the world of that good yet fearful news. In short, the Millerites were mission driven because they saw themselves as a prophetic people with a message that the world desperately needed to hear. That perception appears to be the internal mainspring that led the Millerites to dedicate their all to their task.

"Such a deeply held conviction seems to be a precondition to success in all types of millennial movements. Without that prophetic certainty and its accompanying sense of urgent responsibility, millennial movements begin to atrophy; with their main-spring absent, they lose their dynamic for vitality and growth."

From about the late-1980s, WT literature began to be devoid of this interpretive millennium excitement which resulted later in our seeing A LACK OF VITALITY AND GROWTH BECAUSE THE "MAIN-SPRING" WAS ABSENT.

What happened to cause this change? Fred Franz was put in the Bethel Infirmary. He no longer could write; he was blind and ill. He dictated long, rambling disconnected information into a recorder which information the Writing Dept. never used and then he died in 1993. Franz was the MAIN-SPRING that pushed the movement along with his dynamic messages. (Although when I look back now those messages were quite silly for our day and age, but they were different and that attracted people.)

Now, two decades later we can see the atrophy in the Witness organization which I believe BEGAN with Franz’s decline and death. He was the Millerite connection in our age. What we see now in the beliefs of the Witnesses are some residual beliefs, but nobody is really carrying on the dynamic Wm Miller tradition like Freddie Franz did. (To forestall any criticism of this thought, I'm not saying it is a loss, just a fact.)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    In one talk he bombastically told the audience that the initials "D. D." written after a clergyman's name does not stand for Doctor of Divinity, but stood for "Dumb Dogs." (Everyone applauded.) I don’t know if Rutherford ever used that statement

Yeah, Rutherford used that expression too, along with Woodworth. They reinforced this image by referring to the clerical collar of Catholic priests as "dog collars".

• Gopher
    Gopher

I concur that the WT publications have lost a lot of their zing since the mid-80's, when Franz started to wilt away.

The only time I saw and heard him was in 1983, when he came to Minnesota to give two of those 'radio hookup' speeches at the convention. He was almost totally blind, but mentally still was quite coherent. He quoted Bible verses from memory almost perfectly, although sometimes he reverted back to the older American Standard or King James rendition.

It also makes sense that Freddie was a central WTS idea-maker during the tenures of Rutherford and Knorr.

Even if Fred Franz or some clone of him were around today, it'd be hard to stir up the excitement that the organization felt during earlier times - like the '53 and '58 New York all-JW's-in-the-world-assemblies (my parents were there in '58, I wasn't), or the Truth book in 1968 and the "get converts into the truth in 6 month" campaigns, and all the excitement leading up to 1975. All they can do now is preach their boring litany of loyalty to their organization, the world is getting worse, higher education is bad, and apostates are demonic. Yawn.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I remember the excitement of Fred's speaches at the assemblies.

the excitement that the organization felt during earlier times - like the '53 and '58 New York all-JW's-in-the-world-assemblies

I was at both of these assemblies, I met my JW wife at the '53 assembly and married her in '57 and attended with her in '58. I was 22 years old then. We divorced in '73 and I faded out of the "truth" over the next several years. Wow does time fly by.

Ken P.

• stev
    stev

A direct connection between Franz and the Millerite movement isn't proven here. Franz might have had books on Millerite Movement, but it isn't proven that the expression "dumb dogs" occurs in one of Franz's books, or that Franz read it. The expression "dumb dogs" occurs in the Bible. I recall reading this expression in the WatchTowers from the Russell era, as well as from the Convention Reports. A google search shows that others have used it too to apply to Doctors of Divinity.

Russell in several places speaks favorably of the Millerite Movement in his explanation of the parable of the virgins when they first went out to meet the bridegroom. He applied the 1290 days prophecy to the beginning of Miller's preaching in 1829 ( a incorrect date-it was 1831). Also the 2300 days cleansing of the sanctuary to the post-Millerite movement in 1846. Franz might have had these books on the Millerite Movement for these reasons.

Nelson Barbour had been a Millerite in the 1844 movement, he reapplied some of Miller's interpretations to later years such as 1873/4, and then Russell got it from Barbour, and then made corrections himself. So if there is connection it is from MIller-Barbour-Russell-Franz.

• emptywords
    emptywords

Reading from sites on the net about william miller he and barbour and russell and another dude all studied together, like bible student, they all had similar beliefs in chronology, they all believed in Christ's invisible return around 1878 or 9 russell broke away because he didn't believe in Hell fire trinity and some other fundamental doctrines that the popular churchs taught, the seventh day adventsist came from barbour he parted company with russell and russell went on after using his own money from stores left by his father, to build the WTS.

Just write william miller or H Barbour, or even Russell and check out wiki and gives all the infor with added sites to click onto.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It is highly unlikely that CTR ever met Wm. Miller, let alone studied the bible with him, since Miller died (1849) three years before CTR was born (1852).

• ibme
    ibme

Nathan,

There is one thing I enjoy about JWD.

Posters must be careful as to what they post.

Get the facts straight, then post.

Just a side point on Fred Franz if I may.

I was an attendant in the dug out where the speakers at the assemblies came out back in the late 50's.

This person came out and sat down by me. I did not know who he was so I just started to talk. Well, he said, will you shut up ( in a deep bold voice) -- I am the next speaker and I have to save my voice.

When they stated who he was -- Fred Franz, vice-pres, etc. etc. I about like to drop over. How could a christian person with such responsiblities speak to me or anyone else in such a manner.

I never did like his style of delivery. Too bombastic.

Another side point.

Sometime I think we old timers contributed to their big headedness by our applause and compliments, etc.

Me thinks me talking to much.

Thanks

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Barb didn't say Franz met William Miller, any more than I met Aimee Simple McPherson, but I could copy her style, as her voice is out there.

Randy

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Randy, I was responding to the comment made by emptywords:

Reading from sites on the net about william miller he and barbour and russell and another dude all studied together

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit