God was the cause of the evil

by opusdei1972 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Bart Ehrman noticed, in his book "God's Problem", the fact that God was responsible for Job's pain. To show it, Bart quoted the following verse:

And they showed him sympathy and comforted him for all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him.(Jogb 42:11, ESV)

However, the Watchtower Society mistranslated the hebrew verb "bow" (to bring to pass) so as to mean "to allow to come":

They sympathized with him and comforted him over all the calamity that Jehovah had allowed to come upon him. (Job 42:11, New World Translation)

I don't think that this hebrew verb has the passive meaning of " allow". Note how it was used here:

In the course of time Cain brought (bow) to the LORD an offering of the fruit of the ground, (Gen. 4:3)

The Watchtower tried to show Yahweh less evil ?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    If I believed in all that nonsense, I'd just say that the story was written from the perspective of the comforters, which believed that it was god that caused Job's suffering. The reality was that they were wrong, and it was all satan's fault.
  • opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    According to the book, God let Satan to test Job's loyalty. So Bart noticed that not all was by Satan's guilty, but it was because God wanted too, and the verse 42:11 admits it.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

So many things about this YHWH make no sense, you are all powerful, all awesome, and still you have to engage in a wager over this persons loyalty. If YHWH is real we are like less than nothing to him, I loving father would never wager with someone he considers his children, even in a temporary situation.

I believe they are trying to misrepresent it to fit as you say, but the whole story in general is bad. The bible criticizes itself best!

Doesn't YHWH undermine his own supremacy by gambling with his biggest adversary? Lowering himself to this? Its all nonsense.

You may have pointed out something very interesting here though.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    freemindfade
    freemindfade Thank you, I want to show to the Witnesses how the Bible contains contradictory views on Yahweh God and how the Watchtower translators tried to hide it.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    tried to show my family a little and they blasted me. I told my uncle if you had no religion and knowledge of it to begin with , and a bible just fell out of the sky, and you read it in all its original languages, you would see zero harmony and tons of contradiction that men have massaged for out for thousands of years. Sorry witnesses, YHWH and Jesus just don't pan out.
  • Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

James 1:13 When under trial let no one say he's being tried by God, for with evil things God does not try anyone nor he himself will be tried.

I'm quoting from memory so it might not be verbatim from the NWT. BUT...

How does that compare with ...the calamity that Jehovah had allowed to come upon him. OR ...for all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him.

You allow the Evil one to try an innocent man with boils ,diseases, death to his family, impoverish him ; and then say you aren't hobnobbing with Evil.or allow anyone to be tried by Evil?

• Perry
    Perry

The idea that God is evil and satan is good is an old gnostic heresy.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    God does kill roughly 1000000x the number of people as Satan does in the Bible.
  • Perry
    Perry

Satan sold ALL of Adams children into slavery of sin and then death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit