9 & 10 yrs old getting baptized @ DC in news

by Gayle 9 Replies latest social current

• Gayle
    Gayle

Jehova's Witnesses baptize 61 at BJCC

Sunday, June 24, 2007 GREG GARRISON News staff writer

Zachary Franklin, 9, came up for air, his T-shirt and shorts soaked. He climbed out of the swimming pool with a big grin on his face.

"I feel happier," he said.

A few minutes later, 81-year- old Alfred Tancredi took a dunk in the baptismal pool.

Advertisement

As volunteers mopped up water that splashed off a carpet runway, a steady flow of converts stepped up and climbed into the pool to be dunked.

Jehovah's Witnesses holding a district convention at the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex baptized 61 converts in a pool on the arena floor Saturday afternoon. Young and old, they too are now Jehovah's Witnesses, part of a fast-growing denomination known for its door-to-door evangelism.

"I've tried them all, Baptist, Methodist, Holiness," said Tancredi, of Warrior. "This is the only one that spends time with you, works with you, explains the truth. This is where I've got my faith now."

More than 7,000 Jehovah's Witnesses from Alabama and Mississippi gathered at the BJCC beginning Friday, and they will wrap up their three-day regional meeting this afternoon. They listened to Bible lessons on the theme "Follow the Christ!"

They reject belief in the Catholic and Protestant doctrine of the Trinity, the idea that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are all aspects of the one, true God. Witnesses emphasize using the name Jehovah to give glory to God the Creator. They believe Jesus was the son of God, but not God himself.

"We see Jesus as Jehovah's son," said Circuit Overseer Thomas J. Rucker, a featured speaker. "It's different from the trinitarian view that Jesus and God are the same."

The convention stressed that Jehovah's Witnesses do believe in Jesus, and that he is a model for believers to follow. "We're followers of Christ; that's the main thing," said newly baptized Carolyn Hood of Bessemer.

Jason Hall and his daughter, Alex Hall, 10, of Columbus, Miss., got baptized together. "I'm just so happy," Alex said, dripping wet with a towel around her as her mother, Crystal, snapped pictures. "Mama, I'm gonna go get dressed. I'm cold."

A few minutes later she returned wearing a red dress. "I'm so proud of you," her mother said. "This is the most important day of their lives."

There are more than 150 worship centers called Kingdom Halls in Alabama, with combined membership of more than 15,000. About 1.6 million people attend Jehovah's Witness regional conventions throughout the country from May through September.

E-mail: [email protected]

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

That's what they have come down to- 9 & 10 yr. olds and 81 yr. old seniors getting baptized.
    Ordinarily, I imagine many of the 81 yr. olds would just pass, knowing that God understands
    them. JW's would convince them that that attitude is just wrong.

That sounds like a huge number, but works out to over 2 people per congregation. There would
    most likely be a greater loss between DF, DA, fading, and death.

It is a shame that many pre-teens will later be shunned by grandparents and uncles and later by
    parents and siblings because they tried to please Mom, Dad, and the CO.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith
    "I've tried them all, Baptist, Methodist, Holiness," said Tancredi, of Warrior.

It's a shame the 9 year old was never given that opportunity.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Well, there went my breakfast!

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Tancredi, said "This is the only one that spends time with you, works with you, explains the truth."

Poor guy doesn't realize that now he's been baptized all that attention will disappear.

Unless this elderly gentleman is rich and has lots of $$$ to leave the WTS, his days of them spending time with him, working with him is over. At least he has a full life of Baptist, Methodist & Holiness friends to fall back on if needed.

Edit: I just realized 150 congregations divided by 61 is less than 1/2 of one person per congregation. That really is a tremendous increase. :)

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

A few minutes later she returned wearing a red dress. "I'm so proud of you," her mother said. "This is the most important day of their lives."

This article should be followed up with those baptized who have since been sentenced to death by shunning - this places the baptism as perhaps one of the most destructive days of their lives. sammieswife.

• heathen
    heathen
    "We're followers of Christ; that's the main thing," said newly baptized Carolyn Hood of Bessemer.

I don't think following the christ means baptizing kids that can't decide for themselves , this is absurd.Where's it say that in the bible?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Followers of Christ? Wasn't he 30 years old when he got baptized?

• R.F.
    R.F.

"I've tried them all, Baptist, Methodist, Holiness," said Tancredi, of Warrior. "This is the only one that spends time with you, works with you, explains the truth. This is where I've got my faith now."

The JWs are doing that for them now, but I wonder if they'll be singing the same tune some time after baptism.

• Gill
    Gill

Catholicism at its best.

If a child is not old enough to reject the WT society's teachings then it certainly is NOT old enough to accept them!

Ludicrous!

And that is all I have to say on that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit