My Anti-Kult Toastmasters Speech . .

by Locutus of Borg 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

To Locutus of Borg who said

Snowbird, thanks for plating that metphor in my head . .

You are welcome. I didn't realize this thread existed until a member PM'd me and mentioned it. I've been having a hectic week at work. Alpha male harassing the Beta male who in turn is getting on my last nerve! Oh, but the sun also rises.

Snowbird

Edited to add: I like your speech, too. I'm sure everyone in attendance knew of whom you were referring. I give you an A+

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Indeed, the sun also rises.

Thanks again SB. I may be giving a version of this speech at a Toastmasters International competition in September.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

*clink*

My toast to you LoB for a wonderfully written speech and many thanks for sharing it with us.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Thank you, bikerchic, I hope that's a Manhatten (one of my favorite indulgences) in that glass!! LOL!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Thank you, bikerchic, I hope that's a Manhatten (one of my favorite indulgences) in that glass!! LOL!

Well of course it is, however the other one would be gin and tonic my fave.......!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I love me a good metaphor LoB.

And, coincidentally, a good Manhattan as well. Woodford Reserve, preferably.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Great speech! Poetic and passionate! As all good speeches should be. I didn't hear you give it, but you definitely have a knack for the writing.

Cog

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I didn't understand the phrase but Wikipedia came to the rescue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon

-ithinkisee

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I didn't understand the phrase but Wikipedia came to the rescue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon

-ithinkisee

Uh-huh, Wikipedia, Encarta, etc. Info at the fingertip. Wonder why the Watchman-John Class didn't see this coming? Who's sighing and crying now?

Snowbird

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

cognizant dissident, I love the play on words you used for your handle! Very original and creative, but oh so true. That would describe most of us here, wouldn't it?

nvrgnbk, I agree!! A premium Bourbon is the ONLY way to make a Manhatten!

ithinkisee, metaphors can be a very powerful communications and visualization tool, but only if the hearer is cognizant and educated enough to understand them. Unfortunately I truly believe that the above speech would fly right over the heads of most dubs, with the exception of the direct references to the kult. They would not understand most of the metaphors. Sad.

For those of you who have not read "Invictus" by William Henley, it is a must read for any exiting jw. Reading it for the first time a few years after my exit was an epiphnous moment in my life. I also closed my first anti-kult speech by reciting it to the audience.

What I find interesting is that as I progress forward this poem has less emotional impact for me than it did seven or eight years ago. It was like a punch in the gut the first time. I take this as a sign of healing.

I have included it below for your pleasure . .

"Invictus" by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.
    In the fell clutch of Circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of Chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.
    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years