How Do You Handle Compliments?

by smellsgood 21 Replies latest jw friends

• free2think
    free2think

I find it really hard accepting compliments, I never feel i'm worthy of them.

I'm working on that though.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I don't know. Someone compliment me and we'll find out.

• Spectre
    Spectre

"Insightful and intelligent."

Ok, I'll take that one.

Waitaminute, I barely said anything. Are you messing with me?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

All of us are afraid and insecure, to a greater or lesser degree.

Young and old.

Men and women.

Take the compliment when you get it. Enjoy it. They are too few and far between.

• mavie
    mavie

Smile and nod.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I usually respond with something witty and self-depreciating. It sometimes backfires (when they turn out to be stupid responses instead of witty) and I get quizzical looks.

I should just smile and say 'thank you' like normal people.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Unconfused, You are a genius with the grill!~~~~~and when you hit that high note in "My Heart Will Go On" it's like a million diamonds sparkling in the heavens!!

Spectre, huh-uh, come on you've made posts, and I've been here watching YOU for yeaaarrrs!!! :) I'm not yanking your chain,, you cool baby, you're cool!

I know, it does seem to feel like we never deserve or are unworthy, just knowing that maybe is a step in overcoming that feeling?? Besides, some compliments you really didn't do much but be born to receive it feels like

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I didn't used to take compliments well - I wasn't that good, I was scared of getting big-headed - I just had less than zero self-esteem.

Now I'm learning to accept them graciously, I smile and say 'thankyou' and most importantly - allow myself to feel good!

I can usually discern the genuine from the *polite* compliments nowadays too.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Ann,

It sometimes backfires (when they turn out to be stupid responses instead of witty) and I get quizzical looks.

LOL! Same here.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I smile and say thank you. I realize people don't have to give them, and they are always appreciated!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit