Has your idea of how you want to be disposed of changed?

by sinis 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sinis
    sinis

Of course I'm talking about death. I know in the borg, since most people are cheap, or don't have money, there was always a push for cremation. I know my grandmother was cremated, as well as my father in law, and I think the issue was more for finances. I remeber the dubs talking about how it doesn't matter if you are cooked or pickled.

I was thinking about this the other day and IT DOES make a difference. If you are cooked, only your immediate family remembers you. If you are buried and have a head stone then "you" live on forever, you've left your mark, even if you didn't leave it through other means. As long as that headstone is there passerbys will be able to read "here lies ...". Whereas, cremation is only for he moment, I believe burial is forever.

I used to believe or think that I would be cremated, and I know my family and wife believe the same. I think when that day comes, hopefully no too soon, I will convince the living that a monument to the dead is worth the price...

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

no, i would still like to lay down and die in a remote wilderness and let the animals tear me apart.

i'm one of those people who try to escape from hospitals (sorry scully! ;)...

tetra

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Im all for burial. Cremation is one of several pagan practices that the WT Society gives a free pass to.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I will be going into deep space. It costs around $12000 and I have seen caskets that cost more.

http://www.memorialspaceflights.com/services_voyager.asp

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I want to be cremated and each of my children get a portion of my ashes, they each have to spread my ashes somewhere that is meaningfull to them.

As for my mark on the world, I hope my children are my mark and do not embarrass me as I will not have a grave to roll over in , contribution of time, resources, medical knowledge to underpriviledged community residents and various charities will be my mark.

IMHO - these are more important to me than a head stone. Besides I'm afraid of spiders, bugs, worms, snakes........

nj

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Not a JW perspective here but an RC one - I never wanted to be cremated because I had it fixed in my head that cremation = hellfire. I still get that thought rearing it's ugly head, but not as often.

I'd prefer to be cremated now because over here, burial space and building land is at a premium so they can dig you up after 70 years and reinter in mass graves or cremate your remans anyway. Also graveyards aren't particularly pleasant - they aren't respected here, they get vandalised etc. Crematoriums here mostly have beautiful grounds where you can have a memorial plate engraved just to place in the grounds - or a rose bush, tree or even a bench dedicated to the loved one.

• Hobo
    Hobo

I remain pro-cremation. When I'm gone, the people I meant the most to will remember. And after I'm gone, I'd like my remains thrown to the winds rather than buried. I'm a bit claustrophobic, so that may have something to do with it, but I also think that we need more farms and recreational areas than graveyards.

• garybuss
    garybuss

My wishes haven't changed.

My Witness aunt died and they burned her body and then they buried her in a post hole in the cemetery next to her husband.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

no, i would still like to lay down and die in a remote wilderness and let the animals tear me apart.

i'm one of those people who try to escape from hospitals (sorry scully! ;)...

tetra

That's gotta be one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard tetra.

Talk about giving something back!

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I personally have no issue with cremation. What my issue is just throwing the remains helter skelter. The cemetaries are where history is. I tell my family to burn me up, just plant me someplace with my name. It is history for those that come after me, and there is a place for my kids, grandkids etc, can come.

All of my family are JW's. Everyone of them that has passed they just plotted anyplace they wanted with no burial. Now I can't even talk to them, place flowers on a grave etc. They made sure all of their remains were plotted on their lands, so that no apostates could even get close. Apostate = me. So even in death they have kept my family from me.

Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit