How do Jews view 607 /587 debate?

by AgentSmith 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

The JW's use the prohecy of Daniel etc to get to 607 as the date Jerusalem fell. I know the Jews accept 587 as the correct date.

So how do they view the calculation of the prophecy, of 'ol King Neb and Babylon etc?

• Marcel
    Marcel

i would like to know that too.
    btw, i think the main problem in that debate isnt that 607 is wrong.
    the problem is that there are dozens of possible dates if you take the bible alone. you cant know what is right. plus the date which is used to calculate back can be wrong too. for the same reasons why the 587 date is wrong in JW believe.

lets face the facts:

• all the worldy science points to 587... (lets say they are all wrong, knowledge of men is nothing, yada, yada)
    • the bible can suggest many dates (but the 607 one is so much more logical, yada, yada, yada)
    • the bible doesnt contain dates, so the worldy 537 date as the date when the jews went back can be false too (but its scientific prooooofed, yada, yada)
    • the bible doesnt encourage anyone to calculate such dates, instead it discourages! Matthew 24:23, 36 (its not meant this way, yada, yada)
    • are the calculations which lead to 1914ideas of MEN or GOD? decide yourself. (god, because the WTS is the FADS, yada, yada)
    • is it smart to build up a beliefsystem on such a weak basis? regardless of if it is right or wrong in the end.

at this point you can start argueing about what it means to have an organizations which claims to be gods channel and chosen by jesus (which is based on the 587/607 problem again) and because of that teaches the truth but in the same time cant be judged by wrong things they teach and want other to believe unquestioned because they are imperfect.

marcel

(Matthew 24:36) 36 "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.. . . (Matthew 24:23) 23 "Then if anyone says to YOU, ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it.. . .

• z
    z

The Jew believes the Temples, both of which were destroyed on the ninth of Av in 586B.C.E. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/holidayd.html

Tisha B'Av, the Fast of the Ninth of Av, is a day of mourning to commemorate the many tragedies that have befallen the Jewish people, many of which coincidentally have occurred on the ninth of Av.
    Tisha B'Av means "the ninth (day) of Av." It usually occurs during August.
    Tisha B'Av primarily commemorates the destruction of the first and second Temples, both of which were destroyed on the ninth of Av (the first by the Babylonians in 586 B.C.E.; the second by the Romans in 70 C.E.). Because the Reform movement does not assign any special significance to the Temple, the Reform movement does not observe this holiday.
    Although this holiday is primarily meant to commemorate the destruction of the Temple, it is appropriate to consider on this day the many other tragedies of the Jewish people, many of which occurred on this day, most notably the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492.
    Tisha B'Av is the culmination of a three week period of increasing mourning, beginning with the fast of the 17th of Tammuz, which commemorates the first breach in the walls of Jerusalem, before the First Temple was destroyed. During this three week period, weddings and other parties are not permitted, and people refrain from cutting their hair. From the first to the ninth of Av, it is customary to refrain from eating meat or drinking wine (except on the Sabbath) and from wearing new clothing.
    The restrictions on Tisha B'Av are similar to those on Yom Kippur: to refrain from eating and drinking (even water); washing, bathing, shaving or wearing cosmetics; wearing leather shoes; and engaging in sexual relations. Work in the ordinary sense of the word is also restricted. People who are ill need not fast on this day. Many of the traditional mourning practices are observed: people refrain from smiles, laughter and idle conversation, and sit on low stools.
    In synagogue, the book of Lamentations is read and mourning prayers are recited. The ark (cabinet where the Torah is kept) is draped in black.
    List of Dates
    Tisha B'Av will occur on the following days on the American calendar:
    • August 3, 2006 (Jewish Year 5766)
    • July 24, 2007 (Jewish Year 5767)
    • August 10, 2008 (Jewish Year 5768)
    • July 30, 2009 (Jewish Year 5769)
    • July 20, 2010 (Jewish Year 5770)
    • August 9, 2011 (Jewish Year 5771)

• z
    z

Oh I should add 607 for us is just another yr in the calendar with no significant

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

For some reason I doubt Jews would feel that Daniel 4 actually has a fulfillment in a future Christian prophecy.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Better question: how do ultra orthodox Jews view blood transfusions?

V

• z
    z

The Bible say if you have to save life Shabbat is not valid.
    Shabbat is god commend is one of the must observed day for the Jew (and Jesus)
    So if you need blood, do you save life? Therefore you must accept blood suicide is absolutely forbidden in Jewish low

Drew Daniel is minor profit. If you look at the Bible to suit some prophecy you can do it very easily you do not need to go far all the way to Daniel. BTW Daniel book was written after the events, must of the book is BS
    But for the ones who believed I do respect their believed myself I don’t I’m atheist some event in the Bible happened but must are imagination

• z
    z

Drew I wish you all the best for your new life you have steel ones I read all your posts….. so now I can say GOOD LUCK hehehehe

• AlanF
    AlanF

It depends on which group of Jews you're talking about. Most orthodox Jews go by their own dating system, which assigns quite different dates to many events compared to secular history.

AlanF

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Concerning jewish chronology, I once read in a history book of the Jews, written by Jews, that they believe king Saul reigned for only two years, based on 1 Sam 13 :1. Is that really so, I mean do they really believe that ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit