Elders Giving Personal Opinions as Counsel,How did it Affect You?

by flipper 23 Replies latest jw friends

• eclipse
    eclipse
    He said that if you fall asleep, lose your focus, or not finish before saying "In Jesus name, Amen", that you are disrepecting Jehovah. After all, you wouldn't fall asleep or just quit talking to your boss, or a friend so you can never expect Jehovah to accept that type of prayer.

38, I too had an elder say this to me...I was a teenager and I always fell asleep praying. He made me feel bad, and then I just stopped praying after that, and I haven't prayed since!!

Another Elder said, ''Unless you are dying, you should never miss the ''mee-teen'', here is where you will receive, life, saving, instruction! You would not want to miss that! So, brothas and sistas, there is never a good excuse for missing the ''mee-teen''!''

I was pissed off when I heard him say that. I thought about all the times that families have sick kids, and cant make it, or elderly ones that are ill, or ones that have car trouble, or any other good excuse to not be there, and he basically said, none of it was a good enough excuse. Be there, unless you're dead. What a stupid zealous fanatical idiot.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

This is the second time this week I've used this one:

Y NV?

Strange actions, evil forays
    not on His List
    of agreed-upon Ways.
    Righteous displays
    are quickly dimissed,
    with a gnarled fist
    by the tired old men with eyes ablaze.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

We had a CO back in the 80's who hated gum-chewing, especially at the kingdom hall, and had no problem expressing this sentiment from the platform. In the weeks that followed his visit, the local elders tried to take a hardline stance about it. They would counsel anyone they noticed chewing gum that they weren't following theocratic direction, as if this were a directive coming from Jehovah himself. Fortunately, the madness didn't last long. Apparently it was too stupid even for JW elders.

• flipper
    flipper

German- Their opinions do suck, many times. Eclipse- I fell asleep during meetings, not just prayers. My Bible, books would fall on the floor. People would turn their heads look at me then shake their heads in wonderment. Oh well! I know God still loved me! Mad Tiger- Tired old men with eyes ablaze??With gnarled fists?? What the hell?? Has Ted Jaracz escaped the old folks home again?? Please somebody take him back, quick!!! Keyser- I remember as a kid lying on the floor trying to sleep on Thursady night meetings, then looking up underneath the seats seeing gum stuck under chairs, being grossed out when accidentally touching it, thinking, what kind of disease am I going to catch? Peace, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit