I'm being hounded again

by Frequent_Fader_Miles 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• unique1
    unique1

I assume you are grown so be grown. This is the advice I wish someone had given me.

Tell her, thanks but no. I have no desire to go and I am not going. I don't want a guilt trip about this. I love you and will support you if you decide to go back but I will not. End of discussion.

I didn't do this and was hounded until a near nervous breakdown. Stop it now. Nip it in the bud like us southerners say.

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

"I know that it makes them unhappy, but the only thing that my lifestyle offers them is freedom. This is a big deal to me, and something I appreciate, but they're not the type to want it.:"

that is a huge point. i think about my parents and their relationship with each other and i think if you took away this hope and these time fillers for them they would end up seperated. they were on the fast track there from what i understand before they started studying. for some of us it's more of just wanting understanding for our views then needing to change theirs. now my siblings are young enough that i hope to work on them slowly over time.

• erandir
    erandir
    no one knows when they will die.

This line of reasoning is something relatively new for me that I'm hearing more and more of...it's a way to explain the following seeming paradox of the 1st century Christians being told that the end was very near, and 2000 years later, we being told the same thing that the end is very near. In other words, it's very near in the sense that when you die, it is the end for you regardless of when the actual end is. Simply put, if I die before Armageddon and then am resurrected into the "new system," from my point of view, I wake up and I'm there. The big A could happen in 3014, but for me, it will happen the day I die, and the next thing I know, I'll be awake in "paradise." So with that in mind, to say "the end is near" is always true, no matter when the end really happens.

I'm not saying I believe that way. I'm just explaining why your mom would contradict herself and say even if the end isn't near, and that part about dying. Witnesses have a "unique" way of thinking...of explaining away paradoxes and contradictions. Makes the mind boggle.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Wow, sass-my-frass, it's exactly how my life is with my parents!! They still give me issues of the magazines when I visit them. I've been DA'ed for let's say THIRTY PLUS YEARS! I too don't want to rock the boat, soooooooo I just stay quiet on issues concerning the Borg when they rant and rave on exciting new changes.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Thanks for all the input everyone.

The next time she raises the issue, I'll let her know that I'll be earmarked for destruction anyway since my heart condition is the deciding factor. And since "no one knows when they will die" I've decided to enjoy what time I have left and live by my own rules. I don't believe that I should be unhappy because of a promise that SHE made to Jehovah. She kept her promise by raising me in a certain way, but he also made ME a free moral agent and I've already decided.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    And since "no one knows when they will die" I've decided to enjoy what time I have left and live by my own rules

Also let her know that if you are "lucky" enough to die before "A" you get a free pass to paradise (they said). Just tell her you are playing the odds..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit