Jehovah Witnesses and inheritance

by sweetums 14 Replies latest jw friends

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

To be fair, I don't think it's an iron clad rule. My dad has 4 kids, of whom only my sister is a witness. Recently he had a very life threatening surgery and felt the need to put his affair in order beforehand. He made my brother and I executors of his estate and gave us copies of his will, which states the money from his 401k will be divided between all 4 of us equally. He also sat us down and asked us what of his possessions each of us wanted (not a fun conversation) and put those things in there as well.

Perhaps it is different because none of the other 3 of us were ever baptised. Or perhaps he just knows that our priority is him surviving... not what we get if he doesn't.

Jackie

• sweetums
    sweetums

Thank you all for being so nice. Please know this isn't about money because what my in-laws own doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It's the message it's sending. I want to forget the hurt look on my husband's face when he found out what his mother and father did. I can only imagine what it feels like to know in your parent's eyes that you don't exist.

We have lived next door to my in-laws for the past thirty years. They are both approaching eighty years of age. Several years ago hurricane Katrina came storming through our state. Do you think their "elder" son stayed to make sure they would be safe? No he evacuated to Texas and left them to fend for themselves. I'll give you one guess who was here for them, watching out for them, clearing their driveway of debris, searching for gas to run their generator etc..

I hate the hypocrisy of it all.

• Hobo
    Hobo

I guess my parents must be the exception- I've been out a long time, but there's only me and one JW sister.

They've decided to split everything equally between us, despite the issues.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I just found out two weeks ago what I had suspected for a couple of years. My daughter and her husband went to my father and talked him to changing his will. I am not DF'd but don't go to meetings. For years I took care of my father and my mother--all close witness relatives lived out of town. For seven years I helped my father take care of my mother had Alzheimer's and I spent 25 to 30 hours a week at their house taking care of personal matters with almost no help from the congregation or from witness relatives. If anyone is familiar with Alzheimers, you know it was an extremely difficult task--especially the toileting and the bathing.

After witnessing the lack of interest in my parents welfare from my parent's congregation, my meeting attendance and service tapered off until I finally became inactive and only went to meetings if I was taking my father. After my mother's death, all of a sudden the relatives who took little interest in her care came forward to inform my father that I was inactive and no longer attending meetings. It was also inferred that I was had apostate tendencies. That was because on ONE occasion I mentioned to my daughter and son-in-law that the Society had encouraged people to sell their homes and property prior to 1975. They informed me that I was in error and that was speaking against the Slave.

I am still stunned to think that my own father could turn his back on me after all that I did for him and my mother.

• Scully
    Scully

I am still stunned to think that my own father could turn his back on me after all that I did for him and my mother.

Many JW parents feel that looking after them in old age is the child's obligation, a repayment, if you will, for all the years they spent raising you. It's disgusting how many JW children cast the burden of doing this on non-JW and ex-JW siblings and don't bother lifting a finger because they know their reward (in the Will) is assured.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit