JWs, Jesus Christ, Death, and John 11

by R.F. 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• R.F.
    R.F.

I was thinking about an earlier thread I had made where many of you mentioned the death of relatives. Well i've lost a very close relative a few weeks ago and it's still very rough for us of course. However the reaction from many in the congregation, from the elders especially, hurt me deeply. One elder told me that it's best this person died now before Armageddon since they weren't in the "Truth". He told me to move on and stop missing meetings since the new system is right around the corner. Another elder told me the same thing, as if I can't cry about the situation.

I was reading in the Bible about Lazarus' resurrection and the feeling that Jesus Christ felt toward the bereaved. It's truly touching to me as to how ones, especially elders, should be towards those losing loved ones to death.

(John11:30-44)30 Jesus had not yet, in fact, come into the village, but he was still in the place where Martha met him. 31 Therefore the Jews that were with her in the house and that were consoling her, on seeing Mary rise quickly and go out, followed her, supposing that she was going to the memorial tomb to weep there. 32 And so Mary, when she arrived where Jesus was and caught sight of him, fell at his feet, saying to him: "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died." 33 Jesus, therefore, when he saw her weeping and the Jews that came with her weeping, groaned in the spirit and became troubled; 34 and he said: "Where have YOU laid him?" They said to him: "Lord, come and see." 35 Jesus gave way totears.36 Therefore the Jews began to say: "See, what affection he used to have for him!" 37 But some of them said: "Was not this [man] that opened the eyes of the blind man able to prevent this one from dying?" 38 Hence Jesus, after groaning again within himself, came to the memorial tomb. It was, in fact, a cave, and a stone was lying against it. 39 Jesus said: "TAKE the stone away." Martha, the sister of the deceased, said to him: "Lord, by now he must smell, for it is four days." 40 Jesus said to her: "Did I not tell you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?" 41 Therefore they took the stone away. Now Jesus raised his eyes heavenward and said: "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 True, I knew that you always hear me; but on account of the crowd standing around I spoke, in order that they might believe that you sent me forth." 43 And when he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice: "Laz´a·rus, come on out!" 44 The [man] that had been dead came out with his feet and hands bound with wrappings, and his countenance was bound about with a cloth. Jesus said to them: "Loose him and let him go."

When really thinking about this I didn't see Jesus say..."quit your whining and crying..i'm about to resurrect him in a minute..sheesh!!!" No! That didn't happen at all. Rather Jesus felt for those mourning over him and cried with them. That seems to be the exact opposite of what many in the org do when you lose someone in death. Heck, my family had "worldly" people literally cry with us over this and have been there for us an many ways I couldn't imagine. Yet the response most Witnesses gave was the famous.."this system can't last too much longer...cheer up and get busy in field service."

Who are the ones that were like Jesus Christ in your opinion?

• R.F.
    R.F.

bttt

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The cult mentality takes over. This is the case with rank and file witnesses as well as elders. The emphasis is constantly placed on remaining strong and persevering until Armageddon arrives. Therefore, obvious exhortations, such as the one you point out are relegated to a place of secondary importance. What matters to them is that you remain active in the organization as they think that is the only way you will survive Armageddon. The elders probably think that your lack of meeting attendance is due to what they perceive as excessive grieving on your part. Therefore, they think they are doing what's right by telling you to stop grieving so you can return to the meetings. Meeting attendance and remaining active in their religion is what's most important to them. It's no surprise that they ignore Jesus' counsel in order to try to get you to return to the "flock."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

My sincere condolences R.F.

A few months before I was df'd from JWs I came to the funeral of one brother who died from cancer in his 40's in my first congregation, where I had many dear friends. I remember the emptiness of the talk at the KH, which did quote from John 11 but completely missed the point -- which was precisely not about a future resurrection, but a different view of life and death (v. 24f). I tried to share what I felt about it with his family and close friends, but I doubt they could even start to understand.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's a cynical thing to say to someone that is grieving and it also shows the grandiose mentality of the cult since it is through them that people's fate gets decided. "becaus ehe didn't listen to us and become a JW it is better that he died. But who knows whether he will listen to them in their (imaginary) paradise earth? In fact it's best if someone ignores this exploitative cult.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    It's a cynical thing to say to someone that is grieving and it also shows the grandiose mentality of the cult since it is through them that people's fate gets decided. "becaus ehe didn't listen to us and become a JW it is better that he died. But who knows whether he will listen to them in their (imaginary) paradise earth? In fact it's best if someone ignores this exploitative cult.

This is really sick. I remember so well....the unemotional talks given and the same mentality that suggests that only "weak ones" give way TO these emotions. The WTS cult teaches a very cold, clinical and demanding posture to all its followers, which is NOT normal nor very human if you think about it.

ALL are to fall into a prescribed line of thinking to be considered a "good" JW, no matter WHAT the topic is. How many of those hideous funeral talks were given to JWs that had relatives that had no religion, and how cold and empty these talks WERE---they could have been speaking about anyone for all the human touch that was entered into it! I was thoroughly embarrassed on MANY occasions when I attended one of these to "support the JW" relative. I would rather see what would be seen (by JWs) as over-reacting at the gravesite---than to be around the stoney and unemotional faces that were NOT part of the statuary there. Those "WTS-approved" funerals are a disgrace.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

This made me think about how witnesses put on the backburner so much of their life. It's not healthy and will came to the surface some time if not dealt with.

The cold way in which they deal with death, makes it much easier to think of all that will die at Armeggedon without batting an eye.

• emptywords
    emptywords

Sorry R.F about you're loved one. My brother died last year and I had a lot of support from the congregation including one of the elders. But I do know that not all congregations are the same. Look at Revelations talks about the different personalities and problems within the congregations.

Still I always have maintained that the truth is found in Christ and his love, and those that choose to follow his example that is the truth, so without that foundation one can't expect to much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit