The three reasons we leave the "Truth"

by sleepy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

For me it was #4 first. I was really stressed trying to keep up with everything and the Elders didn't want to hear it. Push, Push, Push. I was sick of it. I was sick of hearing the same rhetoric over and over and over again...like parrots. The guilt was horrendous. Then #3 clinched it with the Net, reading of Ray Franz's books, and the Library research. I'd been had and I was pissed...real pissed.
    But I'm working on it.

Trot

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest LT... peace to you!

Actually, I wasn't sure it #3 applied, as I didn't CARE that the 'borg wasn't 'it'. Heck, they didn't like ME... from day one. They just had 'sayings' that SOUNDED like 'truth'... and so I went.

Peace.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Shelby:
    >>SOUNDED like "truth"
    Yup, and they have got some things right, certainly not the whole package, hence seriously leavened.
    Off Topic - I like your site. Is it your own work? Email me, sometime, would you please?

Sleepy:
    This is a good thread - I'm glad you posted it.
    I only wish that more would answer.

LT

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Sleepy,

Given your numbered selections, I would first pick No. 3. Larc and I were married in 1963, even before we were married, we shared some doubts with each other. However, for the sake of family peace, we continued to attend some meetings, and assemblies. The doubts we had, slowly, but surely, opened out eyes to other 'wrongs.' We also came across some old books by Rutherford at a used-bookstore store. His insane, egotistical writings, sickened me. Yet, all along we thought we were the 'only ones' who doubted. Ha!

I learmed of Ray Franz's "Crisis of Conscience" while viewing a 'religious' TV show, ordered it, and that truly cemented our doubts, both doctrinally and organizationally. I called Ray, and, for the first time actually learned of the many thousands who had doubts and had acted on them.

This was all prior to today's easy access to the internet. We then engaged in snail mail correspondence and phone calls with hundreds of other disbelievers. We weren't 'alone' after all!!

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

Yeah being in the "Truth" otherwise known as, Knowing all there is to know, so they think! #2 izme

"I wish I knew what I know now, when I was younger,,,"

• JT
    JT

• FreeFallin
  • chester
    chester

Number 3 for me too.

I was suckered in and I am very bitter about it. You can probably tell from some of my posts. I am sure the bitterness comes through but I am working on it and trying to get over it. This forum has helped me a lot in that respect.

I have been thinking a lot lately about why people stay in. I think It all comes down to what Carey Barber had to say about how he was able to make it through 78 years of full time service.

Taken from what was said at the special meeting at the Pontiac silverdome.

Finally, Brother Carey Barber was mentioned, who is now 96 years of age and has been faithful in full time service for 78 years of his life. When asked how he accomplished this, he said "I never let anything bother me. Next thing you know, 78 years passed by."

They just don't let anything bother them. No matter what facts are presented to them.

Chester

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

#4 - At the time, I didn't think I was good enough for them, thought God had already deemed me unworthy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit