Universalism

by choosing life 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

C.L.

What do you think? Is eveyone important to God?

You may want to ask if we are all God's children.

John 8:39

The Jews replied to Jesus, "Abraham is our father." Jesus told them, "If you were Abraham's children, you would do what Abraham did. 40 I am a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. But now you want to kill me. Abraham wouldn't have done that. 41 You're doing what your father does." The Jews said to Jesus, "We're not illegitimate children. God is our only Father."42 Jesus told them, "If God were your Father, you would love me. After all, I'm here, and I came from God. I didn't come on my own. Instead, God sent me. 43 Why don't you understand the language I use? Is it because you can't understand the words I use? 44You come from your father, the devil, and you desire to do what your father wants you to do. The devil was a murderer from the beginning. He has never been truthful. He doesn't know what the truth is. Whenever he tells a lie, he's doing what comes naturally to him. He's a liar and the father of lies. 45 So you don't believe me because I tell the truth. 46 Can any of you convict me of committing a sin? If I'm telling the truth, why don't you believe me? 47The person who belongs to God understands what God says. You don't understand because you don't belong to God."

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Is eveyone important to God?

I can only suggest that the answer to this is found when consciousness radically looks past the duality inherent in the question. In other words: the question implies that there is a God to which there are individuals disconnected, so that it can feel something -- in this case some degree of relevance -- towards them. Is this scenario true? Are the characters genuine?

What is real when everything the mind believes and presents as "real", is quiescent? When there is no story about life, what is life? When there is no conceptual construct called "me", what is truly here?

Look outside the box.

j

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

. <-- see that? it's a point. some"day" you and i and everything else in the cosmos will be compressed back into one that is much smaller.

which is to say that eternity is not physically literal.

which is to say that eternity is no where else than right now.

which is to say that yes, the cosmos (God) cares only because you care.

which is to say that God doesn't care because there is nothing to care about.

which is to say that if you want to also be Christ, as perhaps Jesus of Nazareth was being, then all you have to do is step into that place right now, and be there.

--> .

tetra

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/129207/1.ashx

That's the link for my thread on the subject of Universalism.

Universalism is about good perfectly conquering evil in the end. I believe it 200%. How could God ever be satisfied with anything less than a universe free of evil? We all are learning from evil. What Hitler did most certainly does matter. Good conquering evil someday will perfectly deal with Hitler and those like him, whether they be human, other or spirit in form. I am not a pessimist when it comes to God and his ability to win back all of his creatures through perfect love.

• poppers
    poppers

"This means that as long as the believer in Jesus remains a believer, then eternal life resides in the believer" ....... What of those who never believed in Jesus to begin with? If "god" doesn't show unconditional love and acceptance then what sort of god is he? Perhaps god is not what is imagined. Is that a possibility?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

This is why I skipped past the desire to attend a UU church. Life is here right now as we breathe in and out each second of our days. Why measure yourself, your life and your deep thoughts by how important you may or may not be to something?

You get to live and be in other people's lives. When the judgements are gone, you are seen by others & you see others. What is there?

• choosing life
    choosing life

Seems like there are as many viewpoints on here as there are people. Thanks for your replies.

Gumby,

I realize that one can make the Bible say just about anything. There are parts of the Bible that have never made sense to me. Other parts are quite inspiring. What exactly do you do? Throw out what you don't get and choose the rest? Or is it an all or nothing deal? Do you believe in the Bible?

• choosing life
    choosing life

Tetrapod, Do you believe that we will be nothing then? No consciousness at all? Sounds depressing to me. I can't let go of the desire to live. Maybe I misunderstood you.

What about all of those that were born to a life of misery? Is that all they ever get? Doesn't seem fair to me.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hi choosing,

i don't see any reason why the universe should be fair as we see fair. the thing is that we're not talking about "unfairness" as much as we are talking about what we would describe as indifference.

as a human being, i am too saddened by what i understand to be suffering. what appears to be suffering on a grand scale.

but it's not. every single thing, every last thing in this cosmos is *perfect*. every last atrocious human injustice to every swirling nebulae. perfect. right now. inside you and outside of you. everything. if you are repulsed or saddened by that thought, then that is fine. you are a human, and the thought of hitler or the GB being ultimately on the same playing field as a flower or an atom or the most beautiful thought you can think, seems like a horrid thought. but, ultimately, it doesn't matter because it still all exists in this universe (at least).

and it's because it's not suffering. it's just becoming. nothing static exists. it seems like suffering when the event is viewed in isolation, without seeing the backdrop of an entire universe in a constant state of becoming.

regarding the universe compressing to a singularity: don't worry! i don't think it's going to happen in our lifetime. probably billions of more years. the suffering of humans will be a distant flicker.

tetra

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Tetra

Always enjoy (and mostly agree with) your philosophy. Just curious though. Why do you say the universe will someday compress down to a singularity?

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit