Voting on hall decoration?

by stapler99 12 Replies latest jw friends

• dobbie
    dobbie

I can remember when they wanted to redecorate out k hall, although there was nothing wrong with it!Loads of people protested and there was a lot of bad feeling as they though this money it was going to cost over £20,000!) should be spent on air conditioning rather than new chairs etc, as hubby and i were inactive we were told we couldn't vote (thank goodness!) but when they realised how little support there was they suddenly said inactive ones could vote but i played dumb and pretended not to understand and kept well out of it. The elders themselves chose the colour schemes etc and it looked disgusting!What a waste of money...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I remember years ago when the hall I attend was remodeled. Just seeing the obnoxious attitudes and egos of the elders was appalling. I only gave a small amount of money but was determined never to give another penny ever again.

There were a lot of hurt feelings and stumbling over this fiasco.

LHG

• undercover
    undercover

Here's what happens when you let an elder's wife that has no decorating experience or taste pick the decor:

Pink carpet; peach colored wall-paper; mauve seats; purple and pink flowers on stage; shades of green wallpaper with a mural on the back wall of the stage; beige tile in the foyer; pink tile in both bathrooms. It looked like Walt Disney threw up in our hall.

One elder in the same hall was a carpenter, or so it said on his tax returns. Fact was, he was the worst carpenter I ever knew.

Well, he wanted to stain all the trim in the hall instead of paint it. Around the stage he used real oak planks to create a wainscoting and trim. Looked okay enough, no real issues there. But for the rest of the hall, he used standard pre-formed trimwork like you would see in a house. The only problem was that instead of using stain grade trimwork, he used paint grade and then had the painter brothers stain it, despite their warnings that he was making a mistake. Anyone who knows anything about woodwork knows how that looked. It was an embarrassement to walk into that hall and see that shitty trimwork.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit