Anyone's doctor force their hand about being listed as a JW?

by Mysterious 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I remember when I was in high school I went to the doctor about something completely unrelated to surgery or blood and as a matter of updating my medical records he made a point of listing me as a JW on it. He never asked me if he could / should and I was in no position to object in front of my mother without explaining myself. Not to mention I would look wishy washy about my faith in front of the doctor. Did anyone suffer a similar fate at the hands of the medical profession especially when you were a kid/teen?

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

No one? Another dead thread to chalk up to my brilliance I suppose. =P

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

I've begun to change my information about my religion at hospitals I go to for tests and doctor's offices. Also I have to change the contact information I have on file. I have listed my husband first in the past, then my mother who is a staunch diehard witness, and then my witness sister. Now I am telling them to change the contact person to my husband first (he never was a witness), then to my sons, who are now grown up. I recently told the registration person at a local hospital to change my religion to Christian instead of Jehovah's witness. So she brought up the blood issue and said didn't I want to keep it on there as Jehovah's witness so I would not be given blood. So I told her that I no longer believe that way and would now accept a blood transfusion if necessary. She said, "Oh." and looked really funny. I wondered if she was a witness and I just didn't know her because I have been away so long. Oh, well, too bad. It's not her business anyway.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

oops! double post!!

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

I wondered if she was a witness and I just didn't know her because I have been away so long. Oh, well, too bad. It's not her business anyway.

Be careful!!! If by chance she is a JW, then rest assured she will absolutely make it her business!!! She has your name, and she knows that you will now accept a blood transfusion. The elders must be made aware of this, privacy regulations notwithstanding.

(For what its worth, I will add this anecdote: my ex-wife (a loyal dub) used to work at a hospital as an admitting clerk. She was well aware that at some point she could face a situation that would challenge her loyalty to the org vs. her employer's privacy policies. To give her credit, she admitted that she would have a hard time violating confidentiality, and that she might even refuse to divulge information to the elders, which, for a loyal dub, is saying a lot.)

No Apologies

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

I am aware that she very likely would make it her business and the business of the local elders. That has been a concern to me because I know that there are witnesses that work in all the area hospitals, and that there are two working in registration in two of the hospitals. The only reason I would not want this to come out is because I do not want my elderly mother and my sister to feel they cannot talk to me any more. Once my mother passes away, I will not be as careful as I am now. In fact, I will not be careful at all. I will do whatever I want, including decorating for holidays and maybe attending church with my husband. But I do know that if she was a witness, this may come back to bite me in the butt. But I still have to change this information. I would accept a blood transfusion now, and I don't want my witness relatives able to discuss my medical care and finding out about something like that. Not that I have had one, but if the need should arise, I will certainly do so.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Even though my family members are not JW anymore, I told my doctor that if they had to give me blood just do not tell anyone. She said ok! no one would know but me. :-)

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

As far as growing up with the blood thing, yes I was one of those kids! I had to go to special doctors who wanted to give me blood. In fact, my mom packed all of us up in the middle of the night to move out of state. It was awful! and it scared me.

I remember when the doctors said I would die if I had to have a major operation, and they were planning to remove body parts. Another bunch of bull!

As an adult I never had anything removed, I did have an operation without blood and I did great!

The bottom line, I never had to ever take blood! I believe the JWs will behave and do all kinds of dysfunctional behavior all in the name of God. I also think they are bonding with others who are like them, the in group!

I remember when the elders told my mom and dad to move in the middle of the night and not let anyone know!

Oh well it worked out for the best! :-)

• helncon
    helncon

When i was in my late teens(16) the family doctor asked if i wanted to go on the pill. I was shocked that he even thought about that, not that i really knew about it.

when i had my daughter i stated that i was a JW because of the blood issue but i had long been out.

But for my son i stated that i had no religion and neither do my children.

My GP for over 10years saw the mess i was in when i first left and the issues i had over the years one day i bumped into a old friend from the cong and the GP inquired how i knew her i told her and she said to me it all made sense so i am guess she had some issues.

Helen

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Who knows with the way the blood doctrine is going these days soon it might not be something that has to be so closely guarded from families. Though I'm sure it will still be a matter of gossip as a conscience matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit