Question: Why was it ok to sell unbled meat to a foriegner for them to eat?

by Lady Liberty 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Hello all..

OK, I have a question for any takers: Deuteronomy 14:21 says this:

"YOU must not eat any body [already] dead. To the alien resident who is inside your gates you may give it, and he must eat it; or there may be a selling of it to a foreigner, because you are a holy people to Jehovah your God....

I realise under the Mosaic law they were forbidden to eat unbled meat. So, it is obvious that this is why they could not eat a animal that they found that had died, say from natural causes. But why were they allowed to give it to a alien resident or a foreigner??? The Witnesses teach that they are still to obstain from blood today. And that this was not done away with with the Mosaic law. So my question is: Why would God encourage them to make a profit off of having someone else sin by eating blood?? Seems to me this could be a good reasoning point to show that it was a law for them at that time. I wonder if anyone else sees what point I am trying to make. Any takers??

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• timetochange
    timetochange

Lady,

Israel was in a covenant relationship with God, foreigners were not. God required that the Jews live a holy life. This is a very interesting circumstance since the Watchtower teaches that the Great Crowd is not in a covenant relationship with Jehovah and therefore Jesus is not their mediator. That being the case it would seem that only the anointed should be required to abstain from blood!

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Hi Lady Liberty,

You're right on the money. This is the very scripture which exposes the serious flaw in the watchtower's blood doctrine.

Unfortunately the watchtower has no answer for this. I researched this thoroughly before I left and the only watchtower article that addresses this scripture actually sidesteps that very question.

If the selling of unbled carcasses that were not killed by humans is ok for Isrealites to do, then that implies a strong distinction between the handling of blood/unbled meat of animals killed by humans and those not killed by humans.

The rule against eating unbled meat of animals not killed by humans clearly falls under the mosaic law. Either that or the god of the old testament is a hypocrite.

Regards
    DK

• garybuss
    garybuss

Gentiles were not under the law. Only Israelites were under the law.

The Watch Tower wants it both ways. They say only the anointed are "spiritual Israelites" and the great crowd, also known as other sheep, are spiritual Gentiles.

The Society says only the anointed of "spiritual Israelites" are in the new covenant and only those in the new covenant have Jesus as their mediator BUT the Society holds the great crowd of spiritual Gentiles to the same laws that only apply to the "spiritual Israelites". That is, the command to preach and the command not to eat unbled meat.

By the Watch Tower Society's own writings only the anointed should be preaching and only the anointed should be refusing bloody meat and blood medical treatment.

"Compared with the anointed remnant of spiritual Israelites, all those of that 'great crowd' would, figuratively speaking, be Gentiles."
    Man's Salvation Out Of World Distress At Hand, WTB&TS 1975 p. 201 - 202

• Mary
    Mary

OK, I have a question for any takers: Deuteronomy 14:21 says this: "YOU must not eat any body [already] dead. To the alien resident who is inside your gates you may give it, and he must eat it; or there may be a selling of it to a foreigner, because you are a holy people to Jehovah your God.... I realise under the Mosaic law they were forbidden to eat unbled meat. So, it is obvious that this is why they could not eat a animal that they found that had died, say from natural causes. But why were they allowed to give it to a alien resident or a foreigner??? The Witnesses teach that they are still to obstain from blood today. And that this was not done away with with the Mosaic law.

You know....this is a particularly interesting question given the fact that the Society asserts that the "no blood" commandment that Jehovah gave to Noah, applies to ALL mankind and not just the Israelites:

*** w 04 6/15 pp. 14-15 Rightly Value Your Gift of Life ***

After the Flood, mankind started anew with just eight souls. In a declaration applying to all humans, God revealed more about his evaluation of life and blood. He said that humans could eat animal flesh, but he set this restriction: "Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to you. Only flesh with its soul—its blood—you must not eat." (Genesis 9:3, 4)................ God continued: "Your blood of your souls shall I ask back. From the hand of every living creature shall I ask it back; and from the hand of man, from the hand of each one who is his brother, shall I ask back the soul of man. Anyone shedding man’s blood, by man will his own blood be shed, for in God’s image he made man." (Genesis 9:5, 6) You can see from this declaration to the whole human family that God views a man’s blood as standing for his life.

The scripture in Deuteronomy that Lady Liberty quoted above proves that this ban on eating blood was binding ONLY upon the Israelities, not anyone else. And to compound the problem, the Society has always likened the "Great Crowd" to the "alien residence" that resided with the Israelites:

*** w 03 2/15 p. 20 What Does the Lord’s Evening Meal Mean to You? *** Like ancient Israel’s alien residents who worshiped Jehovah and submitted to the Law, today’s other sheep accept Christian responsibilities, such as preaching the good news along with the members of spiritual Israel. Just as no alien resident could become Israel’s king or a priest, however, none of these other sheep can as such rule in the heavenly Kingdom or serve as priests.—Deuteronomy 17:15.

Therefore, according to their own interpretations, the Great Crowd today should not be under the "no blood" ban. If the Israelites (always 'forshadowing Spiritual Israel') could sell unbled animals to the 'alien residence' (always forshadowing the Great Crowd), then clearly, this law was not binding upon "all humans".

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Wow! Good points you guys!! It just seems like if it was to be an absolute law for everyone because of the sacntity (spelling??) of blood, why wouldn't it be forbidden for everyone forever. It just seems like you said, it was a law for the Jews because of the covenant they were in with God. Seems like if he was going to open the way for all men (the nations) he wouldn't get them started eating something that would be off limits for them later. Anyhow..this scripture always made me wonder... Thank you for your comments!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Good point Mary!! So if you are to believe Watchtower doctorine..(which I don't) then you would have to accept that Jehovah was saying it was ok for the Isrealites to try and profit off of the nations and it was not a sin for them to get the aliens or the foriegners (spelling??) to break God's own law! OH BROTHER!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• zagor
    zagor

Funny you should ask it, I was just thinking about it the other day, remembering how some "in good standing" witnoids used this verse to justify all sorts of things even cheating their customers because these weren't dub. Interesting isn't it?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

The jws have misunderstood the whole Mosaic Law on blood. Yes, they Israelites were prohibited from eating blood, but not fully!: Leviticus 17,15:

"Anyone, whether native-born or alien, who eats anything found dead or torn by wild animals must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be ceremonially unclean till evening; then he will be clean. 16 But if he does not wash his clothes and bathe himself, he will be held responsible.' "

Why is this verse even there? Because in times of distress, for example in war, it might become necessary to eat an animal that had not been slaughtered the kosher-way. Why? To save lives! There were plenty of death-penalties in the OT-law. You couldn`t even yell at your own parents without being taken outside the city gates and stoned. But the law on blood has no death penalty! Only in jw-land.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Why is this verse even there? Because in times of distress, for example in war, it might become necessary to eat an animal that had not been slaughtered the kosher-way. Why? To save lives! There were plenty of death-penalties in the OT-law. You couldn`t even yell at your own parents without being taken outside the city gates and stoned. But the law on blood has no death penalty! Only in jw-land.

Dear Hellrider..

ANOTHER good point!!!! WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!! I would like to see a JW respond to this!

Thanks guys!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit