JW publications are so toxic they result in False Memory Syndrome

by Abaddon 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I know the effect of the lovely blood and gore illustrations in the Borg publications has beendiscussed, but I think here is proof postive that speculaion they are harmful to children is actually true.

It concerns events after a baby's body was found in Rupert, Idaho. The case had no leads, although obviously some people believed it was proof of Satanic Ritual Abuse, until one ay tyhey had a call

A child protection official in San Bernardino County, Calif., was on the line. It seemed a 9-year-old boy in Barstow, being questioned as a possible child abuse victim, had told authorities he'd seen a baby sacrificed, a baby who'd been burned. The boy had also drawn some pictures, including one involving a barrel, a fire and a baby. This boy's family, as it happened, was from Idaho. More precisely, the family was from the Rupert area.

Read the entire article (URL below) for the details (as normal there was no proof of any Satanic Ritual Abuse), but guess what?

Talking to Timothy's mother one February morning during the course of a marathon series of interviews, Randy Everitt, an investigator for the Idaho attorney general's office, thought to ask: What kind of stories do you read to your boy?

I've only read one story to him since he was a baby, she replied. There's only one book I read to him.

The family's book, Everitt discovered, is a Jehovah's Witness children's bible that-as pan of the story of King Solomon threatening to split a child in half-includes pictures of a baby being sacrificed and torn apart.

http://www.maryellenmark.com/text/magazines/la_times/216O.html

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks Abaddon.

Creepy, no?

But rather logical.

• Mary
    Mary

Yep. Here's the Society bitching about Disney movies and Harry Potter, when they stuff they write is just as scary, if not more so. At least Disney and J.K. Rowling don't try and pass their stories off as real.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And they worry about the effects of watching violence on TV or in the movies. At least the violence there is fake and staged. The Tower's violence is not only real, but it is supposedly going to be here any day now. And with all these new dates they are coming up with lately, it is going to have an even worse effect on anyone that is stuck in the Tower. I think I will stick with 50 Cent.

• bernadette
    bernadette
    We are fairly well convinced that the little boy didn't see any," Everitt says now. "We believe the boy jumbled what he's been read, and other folks interpreted that as they wanted. Probably the next step will be to give a clean bill of health to the father as well. We can't connect him to anything."

Also when religious parents read bible stories to their children their tone can convey the deep religous significance of the the story so the pictures and words gets deep into the psyche of the poor children .

Perhaps the day will come when 'My book bible stories' comes with a mental health warning

• zagor
    zagor

Well this is one area where me and my ex agree on and she doesn't want our little one have a copy of "Bible stories book" I mean for heavens sake you've got incest, you've got murder and everything else even Hollywood doesn't dare to touch into and yet these are supposed to be "spiritual meals" for our kids

Their assertion that it is a good for kids because good always wins over evil is absurd. Rent any movie from your local store and see when evil wins... never.

At very young age, kids of dubs are taught to fear demons to fear what satan can do to them, to fear the world to fear, "false brothers" (yep even that) to fear their schoolmates, to fear, to fear, to fear. Now compare that attitude to anything coming out of lets say Disney. Well what you get is 'to believe in you dreams', 'to believe it is possible', 'to believe in good in this world', 'to believe in humanity' ....

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I remember sneaking off to read "Mankind's Search for God." As a lad of half my age or perhaps younger, the bizarre images fascinated me...there was an Aztec sacrifice early in the book; I remembered that. Somewhere in the 200s, there was a scroll depicting hell. It was lurid stuff, and I could always count on the Society's litter-ature to provide a small thrill.

Of course, even in the "My Book of Bible Stories" book, you could find Jesus in bloody agony, Balaam beating his donkey, people drowning...people dying in Armageddon...

Wholesome images indeed. Of course, that's no surprise given that the WT prefers to think of children as mini-adults.

• unique1
    unique1

WOW!!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Otoh there were traditionally a lot of gruesome features in children tales (e.g. Grimm; or even the earlier Disney movies, such as Pinocchio, which can be quite scary when compared to the more recent stuff). Seems like silent fears (about death, ghosts, monsters, violence, body mutilation etc.) need to be expressed and represented one way or another to be dealt with (and perhaps what is now repressed in children stories comes back in another form through video games and Halloween stuff for instance, without the previous narrative setting, which I'm not sure is healthier).

However, I do agree that the Bible is not a "children book," and that it is potentially dangerous -- all the more when children who are most exposed to it are taught that it is not fiction, and that the most dreadful character in the stories ("God") is still around watching them and ready to punish in real life.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Yep. Here's the Society bitching about Disney movies and Harry Potter, when they stuff they write is just as scary, if not more so. At least Disney and J.K. Rowling don't try and pass their stories off as real.
    So true! And Narki - yers grimm was full of gothic horror as was a lot of Hans Christian Anderson. I love reading fairytales. But the point is they are fairytales and the bible story book is potrayed as true and real.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit