Going Veggie

by Sirona 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

ok...so the first time I read 'bacon buttie' in this thread, I thought it was some sort of typo...like it was meant to be bacon buddy...as in, my friend bacon. har! Then I read it again, so I had to look it up. Is it all bacon fat between slices of bread?!? (Below is a description I found online...I'm really confused about the "fitch" and the "rashers" too!)

The fitch of bacon from which rashers are cut trails away into a triangular end, which consists mainly of fat and not much meat. The stall-holders in our local market cut rashers to order then, and sold the ends off cheaply in the piece. We took them home, cut them into ragged rashers and made huge bacon butties whenever we felt like it. A bacon buttie is just several rashers, or pieces of rashers, fried crisply, clapped in two thick slices of bread or a bap, and eaten hot, immediately. The buttie is warmer and softer if, at the end when the bacon has been cooked, the split bread is used to wipe up the excess fat from the hot pan before being filled with the hot bacon.

• dobbie
    dobbie

I did become anaemic when i was a vegan a home but then mum didn't know a thing about it at the time as everyone elso was staunch meat eaters!I eat cheese and have milk in things but don't like much dairy stuff but whenever i have had blood tests my results have been really good, even when not on vitamins. I just feel sorry for my dad, a vegetarian daughter (he had his own butchers shop!) and then she becomes a jw - he must have thought i was nuts!LOL

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Kill it and grill it! That's what uncle Teddy says, and I couldn't agree more.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Thanks for the input everyone.

Fe203grl, I didn't know you were veggie back then! Having said that, it doesn't surprise me now that I know. You were not the "ordinary" dub.

Who asked about Bacon Butties? A bacon buttie here is bacon slices between two slices of bread. A buttie in general is a slang word for "sandwich"

The reasons that I want to be veggie are that I disagree with mass breeding for meat and all the horrid practices that come along with it. Also, I have seen evidence that a vegetarian diet (with dairy products included) is a very good diet indeed, health-wise. Spiritually speaking, it appeals to me to not be eating the flesh of an animal whose energy is permeated by pain and abuse.

In the last few days I've eaten fish, but no meat products. Its been really easy! I know eating fish isn't technically "vegetarian" but I figure I can go in stages if I like. Last night we went out for dinner and nothing veggie looked good on the menu so I had the grilled salmon (YUM!).

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

There's a place on earth for all God[ess]'s animals...

...on my plate!!!

• Sirona
    Sirona

...on my plate!!!

You are trying to get me going aren't you?

I agree with Rachel. I don't have an issue with eating meat as such. I have an issue with inhumane treatment of animals and torturous killing. I think that the amount of meat we eat (on average) is ridiculous. In times past a family might kill one bird every so often to feed a family, whereas nowadays a family could eat two chickens a week, plus other meat and meat products. Hence mass breeding to meet the demand.

If you buy a genuine free range chicken now and then (priced at three or four times the price of supermarket chicken), then I don't have a problem with it as such.

Sirona

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm kind of with BrentR, and I dislike extremes. I'm a content omnivore.

For the other side of the story:

http://www.animalhandling.org/

http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php

http://www.ninaplanck.com/index.php?page=real_food_book

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    ...on my plate!!!

You took the words out of my mouth!

Gary

• Xena
    Xena

Just an FYI to the Americans on the bacon buttie issue, Brit bacon isn't like ours it's much less fatty more like ham than bacon IMO.

I should probably eat less meat as both my mom and aunt died of colon cancer. I'm figuring when I get to the island we will probably be eating more seafood then we do here and certainly a lot less beef!

• Sirona
    Sirona
    ...on my plate!!!

You took the words out of my mouth!

Gary

Gary dearest, I'm making spaghetti bolognese for our dinner tonight, using veggie mince! Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit