Is the 2008 version of the Watchtower really about saving money?

by neverendingjourney 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Highlander
    Highlander

It is about money, but it's even more about control.

• metatron
    metatron

They are printing fewer Awake magazines each year, net. The one monthly issue's circulation does

not equal the sum of the two issues. I'll recheck this again to make sure.

metatron

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Highlander:

It is about money, but it's even more about control.

I agree with Highlander on this one, it is about control (mind and money) period.

I posted my theory on the cost control portion in the Scandals & Coverups section last night. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/136026/1.ashx

SnakesInTheTower (of the "no more control to the Borg" Sheep Class)

• Gayle
    Gayle

Long ago, when I was a pioneer, what helped my "return visit" reporting was calling back with the next two new issues of the month to place. So I had quite a developed "route" in which to place all those magazines. So, now with the less magazines to offer for the whole month, it seems there could be an impact with the magazine route process.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    So, now with the less magazines to offer for the whole month, it seems there could be an impact with the magazine route process.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought about. I just wonder how many less magazines a month they will be publishing when the switch is fully implemented. My guess is that the cost savings will be significant, but not as much as I originally thought.

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

What gets me is how Christ said "Come take life's water free". The witnesses consider this their life water, and by denying everyone except baptized members and their families these copies, are they not denying this "life saving water" to the public who so desperately need it?

• steve2
    steve2

I'd be prepared to bet that the JW version of the Watchtower won't be too different in content from the public version. Even among the JWs - especially in industrialised countries - there is a huge number of hangers on who will baulk - and ultimately "disobey" - any more overt "follow-the-slave" messages.

When I was a door-knocker (1960s through early 1980s) I never ever met a householder who, after buying the magazines, actually read and then asked me questions about the study articles in the Watchtower when I returned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit