serpent came-a-callin'

by knock knock 11 Replies latest jw friends

• knock knock
    knock knock

Nawhh, not THAT serpent.

Out in my yard this evening I noticed the cat in the hunkered down inquisitive/cautious pose so I just hadda go see what he found. The snake was trying to get inside of the old railroad tie retaining wall so I could only see the back half. I estimate it was about an inch and a half diameter and I can only guess that it was about 3' long or better. First snake I've seen in the 6 or so months in this house. My best guess is that it's a cottonmouth from internet photos and I've been told they are around. Also, what I thought were turtle eggs a few weeks ago (turtle seen hanging around the spot - same spot as said snake) may in fact have been snake eggs. Yikes!

So, anyone here know of a way to get rid of serpents (no, not the elder kind this time) ? I see there are snake repelent concoctions available but some are quite pricey (albeit cheaper than a hospital visit).

Hmmm, wonder if perhaps there is a cult-away product on the market. Last week I found a jw tract on the door and today it was a baptist invitation.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Knock,

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I can relate as I live in rattlesnake country. We can even find them undercover in our very inhabited suburbs. Always on the lookout. Special caution when hiking the mountain trails.

Good luck!

CoCo

• DJK
    DJK

I would call your local animal control for the best and legal options.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

In Kentucky they will either put mothballs around the house, or they will spray diesel fuel around the outside of the house, just dont light no cigarettes.

• knock knock
    knock knock

wow! I'm suprised anyone replied! lol

a trip to the home despot wasn't a lot of help. one customer there just said "410". I read online about the moth balls but reading that putting out some sort of barrier may actually keep them IN the yard. Sheesh.

I don't know if it's related to the snake or not but my cat came in limping a couple of days later and gets a trip to the vet tomorrow. I can't see any sign of a wound on his leg but he tries to wound ME if I try to get a close look at it.

• brinjen
    brinjen

For the poisonous egg laying serpent

Chalk the outline of a body in your driveway and scatter some litreature around.... (yes I stole it, it's a goodie )

For the reptile, call your local animal control, animal welfare etc.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

All native reptiles in Australia are protected species, so we have to at least pretend to take care of snakes, even the poisonous kinds, when they turn up. Usually a call to the Wildlife Rescue Service (WIRES) will have them find a herpetologist in the area to come and catch and relocate the snake. I assume you've got similar organisations in your neck of the woods.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yuck! I'd probably hack it to death with a shovel! Call animal control.

• knock knock
    knock knock

LoL @ lonelysheep ... When I saw the thing that's what I intended to do but he got away before I could get back with the shovel. perhaps it's just as well ; I read several places online that killing a snake can attract others! Sure don't need that.
    There is a small private lake behind my house and some people have said that it's "infested" with snakes. The neighbors that actually live here though say it's rare to see one and people fish and swim in the lake.

Anyways, the cat is going to be ok with some time and antibiotics. Vet said it was definately not a snake bite but probably got in a fight with a dog/cat. He's too old for this.

Thanks all for your replies. You can go back to browsing other topics now - nothing more to see here. :)

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

get that cat looked at by a vet ASAP (any emergency vet hospitals your way?). We had the same thing happen to our old cat. We found him in the same state (ironically after we came home from a DC). He died before we could get him to the vet. May have been a combination of age and the snake bite... hope dear kitty is ok..I love cats...

SnakesInTheTower (of the "regretable moniker for this thread" Sheep Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit