HOW MANY JWS WOULD STAY IN THE ORG IF....................????????????

by vitty 14 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

............................It was announced that the new system wasnt coming for another 200 years. They have now made a calculation and it is absolutely definite its not coming in there life time.

There are 2 important points to remember..............1 You are supposed to worship God, not because you will get anything out of it for yourself but because he is the soverign of the universe.........2 I cant remember but im sure there are 2

So how many would stay. ????

I think most would leave eventually, what would be the point, I believe the majority only stay because they are terrified of armageddon

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I seem to remember a couple of study articles a few years ago called Serve Jehovah with Eternity in View or something like that which asked whether we would be willing to serve Jehovah even if we thought the new system was long way off. It cited examples of people like Abraham who were given promises that were not fulfilled in their lifetime and asked if we would act the same. That is about as close as you are going to get to a statement about the end possibly not coming in our lifetime. It displayed a reflexivity on this issue I had not noticed in the literature before. Whether they have not made arguments like that before, or whether I am simply not aware of them I do not know.

And the prescribed response during the study was, 'I would serve Jehovah even if there was no reward in the near future, but of course we know from prophecy the end is very near anyway'.

Slim

• Gill
    Gill

I suspect that within 20 years of such an announcement, there would only be a 20% 'hardcore' of JWs left in the organization.

They would be, to all intents and purposes FINISHED!!

Having said that, by 2074, in only 63 years time, two hundred years will have passed since Russell's first predictions of 'christ's return'!

• free2think
    free2think

I agree, i think most would eventually leave.

• vitty
    vitty

Gill

That is a really good point.........................63 years is NOT a long time ! My daughter and her children could still be alive and STILL in the truth.................what a horrible thought

• KW13
    KW13

i think a lot of them would drift and come back before they died so they didn't lose out.

• Gill
    Gill

Vitty - Sorry! That should be 67 years. Bad maths aside, I think that people cling to the WT society for very shallow reasons. These reasons can be overcome.

The majority of people get their head around the inevitability of their own deaths sooner or later.

The majority of people manage to eventually wriggle out of the control of their familys and perhaps it might appeal to not have to see relatives anymore, and certainly not to have to look after controling parents in their old age. I know I find shunning by relatives very appealing these days. I don't want to see them! However, fear of shunning and displeasure from relatives kept me glued to the organization when I was younger.

Watchtower policy would also stand in the favour of those who would simply fade away. They would be able to rationalise that Jehovah would forgive them. Once out of the grip of the WT, anything they might say about this to the opposite would be of no effect.

The WT only has its vice like grip because it paints Armageddon is IMMINENT, Any time soon, coming ever closer!

Two hundred years......well....it's so far away......why bother?!

• Black Soul
    Black Soul

Two things would happen, there would be the longest queue you ever saw at a brothel of jdub men and overflowing of university system by jdub women

• Gill
    Gill

Welcome Black Soul!

That's a rather grim picture you paint of JW men, don't you think?! Could they really be so sex starved? Well, perhaps some!

Hope to hear much more from you and tell us a bit about yourself!!!

• Black Soul
    Black Soul

Come one Gill, are you telling me you don't really know that about JW men lol, I remember this little fat bastard saying one day, "man if I wasn't a JW I'd be there right with you chasing women"

sure I said they'd be falling for you like manna from the heavens ...

thank you Gill I've been here before ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit