URGENT - NEED SOME ADVICE ON A SCHOOL PROJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by sinis 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• sinis
    sinis

I am taking a speech class, and have to perform a motivational speech. I was thinking about doing one on the pitfalls of religion. The last speech I did was informational and I spoke of animals, etc. I gave it before my inlaws and my wife. My wife is a luke warm jdub, her mother is a so so jdub, and her sisters and brother-in-law, I happily can say left the truf because of me - all of them were there and I anticipate that all of my inlaws will be there again for this next speech. Here is my guidlines:

Speech Topic:

General Purpose:

Specific Purpose:

Central Idea:

1. Attention (How do you propose to grab the listeners' attention)?
    2. Need (Describe the problem/need, showing the need for action)
    3. Satisfaction (Satisfy the need by presenting a solution)
    4. Visualization (Help the audience visualize the results)
    5. Action (request audience action)

Now, I don't expect anyone to do the actual speech for me, damn was hoping that could happen :), but I would like suggestions or a path that I could take to wake my wife up especially, without coming out too harsh - maybe a generalised subject? Any ideas? Thanks!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

1. Attention (How do you propose to grab the listeners' attention)?

Illustration or experience. IE Recent experience of terrorist wanting to kill others for religion. Experience of countries fighting over religious difference. Experience of family shunning children for leaving their religion. Experience of family allowing child to die rather than accept medical treatment on the grounds of religious ideology

1. Need (Describe the problem/need, showing the need for action)

Relgion breeds intolerance. In each of the above examples the people involve truly believed that they were doing what God wants. How can people be so blind? Because religion controls people based on faith. And faith is believe based on things that can not be proven.

1. Satisfaction (Satisfy the need by presenting a solution)

Education leads to enlightenment. The more we know about others beliefs the more we realise that they all have at their core the same fundamentals - love, worship of the creator, and belief in an afterlife. We need to educate ourselves and promote education to others to see that religion should not divide by unite people. But this can only be done by concentrating on our similarities not differences.

1. Visualization (Help the audience visualize the results)

Imagine a world where people did not live in terror from religious extremists. Imagine not having to live a lie out of fear of being shunned if you tell your family that your beliefs are not identical to their own.

1. Action (request audience action)

We need to ensure that we do not belong to or tolerate religions that promote bigotry.

• sinis
    sinis

THANKS!!!! I really appreciate that. I was having a hard time figuring out how I could get religion into a motivational subject without pissing anyone off or targeting JW's. Maybe one day I can get her out. Thanks again!!

• Hermano
    Hermano

Have you checked the Theocratic Ministry School book? You might get some ideas.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You can target the JW's subtly by mentioning other religions that do the same. For instance say how religions like Amish disfellowship in which case they family are expected to shun their kids. Christian Science followers are forbidden certain medical practices.

JWs find it really hard to connect the dots, so it probably will not offend your wife that way. My two cousin in laws were talking, one never a JW, one an extreme JW. The non JW lives in an Arabian country and was saying what makes the Muslim religion so bad is its intolerance of any other opinions. You must believe exactly what the leaders teach. He was having a direct dig at JWs that do exactly the same and yet it went straight over the JWs head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit