How many?

by lavendar 17 Replies latest jw friends

• fifi40
    fifi40

Hi Lavendar

Not really sure of your son's story but if he is married to a baptised JW and he is not one (baptised), and yet he is a 'good' husband, she has no grounds to leave or divorce him, in fact I would think rather she would be encouraged to stay with him and try to 'win' him over by her good christian conduct - at least that was certainly the case when I was a JW and in the area I live in...............so maybe you should try to discourage him from getting baptised and tell him you have done some research about the organisation that lets him know she should not be threatening him with a 'join me or lose me' type scenario................then perhaps you could try to gently encourage him to visit a site like this for himself, using the argument that at least he should check out the other side of the story..........you could tell him its not what your trying to tell him but the experiences of many ex witnesses, with a vast array of stories from varied backgrounds........

I know I am slightly off your thread topic, but I cant see how she can be threatening him with some form of seperation if he does not become a JW unless it is on the grounds of physical harm, adultery or a threat to her spiritual strength.......

Good luck

Fi

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Hi Lavender,

I'm so sorry your son is mixed up in the cult. As another poster stated, she cannot scripturally divorce him without proof (2 witness rule, or confession) of Adultery.

She can nag him into joining, and I'm sure no-one from the kingdumb hall is telling him that she can't divorce him just because he does not join so maybe you should bring this up.

If they are following the rules - she would be encouraged to stay with her husband. He is her "head" after and she should be in subjection to him!!!

I'm sure other's with more experience will be commenting later, hand in there and good luck!

nj

• DJK
    DJK

I'm curious. BTTT

• Open mind
    Open mind

One of our Forum Assistants, jgnat, has never been a JW but has a hubby who is. I haven't seen her posting today, but you might want to PM her. She's always been very willing to lend a hand when she's around.

And if you need something spell checked, she's a self-proclaimed "Spelling Nazi". But only if you ask her to. Otherwise she bites her Spelling Nazi tongue.

Open Mind

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Hi Lavendar.

I'm not a witness, but I had some try and get me to go their way. I work with a handful on a daily basis. If this helps, these are the things that made me stay clear and not get entangled:

1) The clear doctrinal differences from other mainstream Christian faiths, and the history of the organization.

2) The false prophesies (probably the 1st thing I researched)

3) www.silentlambs.org

4) www.randytv.com

5) Sites like this forum

6) Charles Russells pathetic memorial and everything that can be said about that.

7) What I feel are mis-teachings and mis-translations in their version of the bible.

AND, probably equal to all of the above, is the way they have acted and carried themselves as "those who have the Truth", I can't begin to tell you the hypocricy. I'll be writing a book about it all someday, I'm sure of it.

• flipper
    flipper

hi, Lavendar...I have never been a witness but Mr flipper was born into it. Iv'e had no use for religion since I was kind of thrown out of Catholic school after 6th grade for refusing to be a suckup ratfink. I got on here to research after Mr f's family started acting bizarre - boy what an eye opener. I had no idea how crazy the jw system is and I have a great deal of respect for those who have gotten out under such stress. Mr f and his 22 yr old son never quite fit in - they think too much and had outside friends, it wasn't as hard for them to leave except for the treatment they've gotten from family. Oh, man, I hope your son escapes becoming one. Good luck. flipper

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Lavendar: I was never a witness, I joined this site in an attempt to keep my wife from going headfirst down the rabbit hole, so to speak. She started studying with witnesses, and things in our marriage began to suffer as a result. I agree with what another poster said, jgnat is an excellent person to get advice from on the whole spouse-of-a-witness front. Your circumstances are more common than you might think, there were two posters with similar names (vets of the board will be sure to know, but I can't recall at the moment), both were ConcernedMama or ConcernedParent, something like that, where the parent's child began dating or married a JW.

Don't give up, you CAN make a difference, my wife no longer studies with the witnesses, and I recently even got her to admit her own self-doubts on one of their key doctrines (no blood). I remember when I first joined one of the things that jgnat told me: "JWs appreciate mildness". This has been true in my case, going head to head with them and being confrontational just makes them shut down and get this thousand yard stare, like they're tuning in to a universal wavelength of WTS instructions (one of the reasons for all the jokes about the WTS being the BORGanization).

• whyizit
    whyizit

When my best friend of 30 yrs. first told me she was involved with the JWs, she had been "studying" off and on for over 9 years. Since we are very open and honest with each other, I found it interesting that she had never said anything about it for so long, and when she did finally tell me, it was like she was worried about what my reaction might be. At the time, I thought the were just another denomination of Christianity. I didn't comment one way or another.

Then I met her guru, and she started a very long and uppety schpeel about heaven and "paradise earth", blah, blah, blah,..... and something just did not seem right. That was when I started doing some investigating. When I found out it was a cult, I thought, "I better warn my buddy!" But before I had the opportunity, her brother-in-law beat me to it. His method was not appreciated. After hearing about that interaction, I knew I better keep my lips zipped until I figured out how to do it a bit more effectively. I needed to do a lot of research and find out how others became free.

David Reed wrote a book called Rescuing Your Loved Ones From The WT. He gives a good description of an arsonist that wants to burn a building down, but he wants people INSIDE the building to burn as well. In order to pull this off, he dresses nice in a suit, goes door to door in the building, and politely tells them that there is a sniper in the area who has been pounding on doors and yelling "Fire!", then when the people run out in a panic, the sniper shoots and kills them. After he makes all of the people afraid to leave their apartments, he goes outside and starts the process of setting the place on fire.

While he is doing this, another guy who knows his diabolical plan, has to figure out how to get the people out of the building. He knows that he has to do something, but what? He starts to calmly go door-to-door and asks if the people would come out in the hall so he could ask them a few questions. When they step out in the hall, he asks, "Wow! Do you smell something? Doesn't that kind of smell like smoke? What do you think that glowing area over there is?" Until THEY come to the conclusion on their own that there is indeed a fire and they better get out of the building.

You have to by-pass the implanted fear, by making subtle points. And it takes a whole lot of patience and time. I studied for several months on how to reach my friend in a non-combative way, and am starting to see some progress after a couple of years. The upside of doing this NOW, is I believe it has caused her to hold off from being baptised. In your situation, I think if you ask the right questions, and do it with the right attitude, not only could you cause your son to delay his baptism, but you could also plant some seeds in your daughter-in-law's mind. But you have to realize that it is a slow process and that you have to be careful, non-critical, and VERY patient. You also have to do some research.

Keep all of your resources out of their sight. Do not hand them a book and think they will read about the down falls of the WTS. Don't say anything negative about the WTS. Find some good questions to ask, and don't press too much when they are cornered. Let them save face and drop it for awhile. Small doses. There are tons of suggestions and many people (on line) willing to help along the way. If I can be of any help, let me know!

The most difficult thing for me, has been trying to find people in my immediate area who know how to help. If I wait for my friend to knock on the door of someone who knows how to ask the right questions, it's not likely to ever happen. I wanted to find the "quick fix". I have found that there isn't one. I have also found through my searching, that I have had to become a reluctant expert on the subject, and in turn, have been able to educate others on the importance of trying to ask at least one thought-provoking question when a JW is at your door. At least be kind, if you can't do anything else.

Approaching JWs in Love by Wilbur Lingle and Captives of a Concept by Don Cameron have been especially useful. I also used the information in Sky Man's Blood Letter (Does anyone know where that is? I got it here.) very effectively. I can tell you how, if it is something you would like to find out more about. Just PM me!

Whatever you do, don't ever give up. Don't hammer it constantly either, but never, ever give up. Keep your relationship in good standing. YOU may be the only one who will ever have the love and determination it takes to help them find their way out of the burning building.

Whyizit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit