The use of manipulative revulsion

by M.J. 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

A thought occured to me.

The concept of manipulating someone through fear and guilt is a pretty straightforward concept.

Without a doubt, the WTS employs these quite well.

But where the WTS really scores big, I think, is its impressive ability to instil an overwhelming sense of revulsion toward its biggests threats/rivals.

Revulsion toward not only its enemies, but also toward concepts it stands against.

It's so pervasive even many of y'all are still affected by it, whether you recognize it or not!

Hate can be a powerful force.

Is there anything you can think of which you've always found repulsive, which could be traced back to the WTS?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

MJ - I believe that the two are closely connected. I'll give my example.

From early childhood, due to the WTS stand regarding patriotism and flag-salute, I developed a revulsion to the American flag. I was almost ill in it's presence for most of my life. The WTS was manipulating me through 'fear and guilt' telling me I would displease God if I honored the flag. Yet, it turned to revulsion in my mind. I do not recall any statements in the publications that ever 'dishonored' the flag directly. They dared not do that. But it developed the revulsion I felt as a result.

They used one form of manipulation to create an even more powerful one. Perhaps other Jw's felt the same. I think they did. I recall one elder who got up early in the dark hours and removed the little flags that had been planted along the street for a 4th of July parade that day. He moved them to the next door over's curb, he was so repulsed by the presence on his curb.

I stood in front of a flag display [two years after leaving] for hours, and debated when or if I would buy one. I finally did. I now have two. Last nite at my service club meeting I said the pledge and sang America in front of the flag. My revulsion is gone. It was self created - but the seeds came from the WTS without a doubt.

Jeff

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

It works the best in the 'us verses them' mindset.

Most people become JWs on the basis that all the other churches have lied to them. Once this 'truth' is established, the individual slowly becomes a more active part of their polarized community. Things the person might never say about other religions soon to slip out because everybody else is doing it. Wild stories about evil catholics, wicked protestants abound. Eventually there develops a base hatred for these things. The more the JW become repulsed by the groups on the outside, the more the individual escapes into the inner core of 'true believers'.

The Watchtower uses the same reasons why all these groups are bad over and over again (trinity, hellfire, ect.) It never introduces anything new as to why all these people are horrible. This teaches the witnesses that they can sipmly write off entire groups of people as 'wicked' simply if they do not agree with some aspect of their faith.

It is a form of racism.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Great points!

Drew, what you describe can be otherwise known as the Granfalloon Technique:

People Who Drive Silver or Blue Cars Should NOT Read This

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/132810/1.ashx

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To add to the flags: How many people find it hard to buy Christmas decorations for this reason? You have left the Tower, and the Christmas decorations are in the stores. However, you have a hard time deciding that you are going to get one. Not so much the fear of getting caught, but that you are still sickened somewhat by the sight. And the Christmas carols often create the same aversion for some time after leaving this organization. Some never appreciate the beauty of the holiday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit