Why So Many More Atheists in Europe?

by bavman 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bluebell
    bluebell

I think that to some extent religiousness is partly influenced by genes, a very broad statement with no backing, just my opinion....

Based on the fact that alot of the first settlers took to the dangerous seas so that they could practice their chosen religion, I think it would follow that their descendants would be more religously inclined?

Plus in Europe, as has been pointed out there have been too much blood spilt over religion.

Pressing post at end of luchtime - will see how my theory is shot to pieces when I get home this evening :)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Thye have had so much more time to evolve past the religion stage.

I would question the idea that atheism simply increases with time (even restricting its scope to a modern, developed, industrial or post-industrial society) in view of my previous suggestion that the USA are (or, sound) more religious now than, say, in the 19th century. More religious, I feel, in the sense of a slide from rational deism to (multi-)confessional theism, at least in public expression. That suggestion may be wrong, though. Anyone cares to discuss it?

• metatron
    metatron

Maybe the percentage of atheists in Europe will drop radically if Muslims make enough babies

or the Turks get to join the EU - and migrate.

metatron

• 5go
    5go

No offense 5go, but with that spelling, and sentence structure, I wouldn't be talking about lack of education on anyone else's part. I trust you were just trying to make a point here...

Jason, (Of the tired of all of the USA bashing class), and yes, a proud agnostic.

Your inablity to see I fake my nationality and I have stated many o' times I am currently in the states and I am a recipient of the said education I am bashing therefore you have made my point. Not only that but If I was japanese speaking this as my second language I would say you try typing in a second language that has a whole diffrent style of characters that does even come close to your first language. Can be tuff sometimes.

• 5go
    5go
    I would question the idea that atheism simply increases with time (even restricting its scope to a modern, developed, industrial or post-industrial society) in view of my previous suggestion that the USA are (or, sound) more religious now than, say, in the 19th century. More religious, I feel, in the sense of a slide from rational deism to (multi-)confessional theism, at least in public expression. That suggestion may be wrong, though. Anyone cares to discuss it?

No, I would relate it strait to education most if they do recive private school go to religious ones that don't even teach basic science. Atleast not that would last the first year of a real school. They are more often than not christian medrasas only intested in keeping the meme going at the cost of the inviduals learning truely heplpful knowledge.

Public schools are not much better off, even though certain conservatives complain about how they have removed god. Funny, I was taught what christmas and easter was about not hanakah or ramadon.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Look at the populace of the US.

That is why.

Look at the millions of desperate poor people. The despised blacks, indians, hispanics, the crackers in W Virginia who still use an outhouse, with but two teeth in their head. People dying of cancer (untreated)

The contrast between rich and poor is every bit as startling as in India, or Brazil.

They are all hoping there is a god to help them 'cause good ol' George won't. Hell he's even trying to stop folks going abroad for affordable treatment.

Also Europeans saw first hand two world wars, nazis fascists and communism. America was to an extent cushioned by an ocean. My grandfather was shocked when an american yawned as he was talking about living through a bombing raid.

I remember talking to a Jew who survived the camps. He said that anybody who imagined there was a being in the sky who just ignored the cries of children being gassed should be gassed too.

HB

• bavman
    bavman
    I think a lot of people have said Christian but they don't actually practise - never go to church and never ever think about god. I'd be more interested in seeing stats showing who actively practises their faith in any way - other than getting drunk at Christmas...

This is also very much the case here in the states. Most of the people I went to school with and have worked with are like this. Even in this so-called Christian nation.

in view of my previous suggestion that the USA are (or, sound) more religious now than, say, in the 19th century. More religious, I feel, in the sense of a slide from rational deism to (multi-)confessional theism, at least in public expression. That suggestion may be wrong, though. Anyone cares to discuss it?

Yes, from what I read from the founding fathers this would be true compared to say what we hear from George Bush today. It would seem to be political suicide here to say you are an atheist or agnostic or deist. Not sure why (since many people are that) other than the fact many religious types have become more organized politically (moral majority).

-What I find amazing also are the huge mega-churches here springing up. Many young people go to these. Very simple style of worship...singing, association, and lot's of emotion. Perhaps a reaction to the presumption there are no morals left here in the states?

• 5go
    5go
    I remember talking to a Jew who survived the camps. He said that anybody who imagined there was a being in the sky who just ignored the cries of children being gassed should be gassed too.

wtf ?

as I recall alot of jews became very athiestic after expericing the camps.

is that what you are saying?

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Maybe Europe exportet a bigger part of their population with the fundamentalist-gene to the US?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit