Did this ever happen to you???

by TheCoolerKing 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

This topic came up the other night when I was chatting with nvrgnbk. As some of you may know, I was born and raised as a JW. I was actually a 3rd generation JW. I became a publisher at 12 and also started giving talks for the Theocratic Ministry School at the same time. Eventually I got baptized when I was 17. An experience that I had shortly after I got baptized is what I want to discuss or vent about now.

My family and I moved and switched Kingdom Halls about 6 months before I was baptized. I met all the elders at the new congregation, I "passed" my baptism questions and I was baptized on June 19, 1982. One of my first goals after baptism was to auxiliary pioneer. I wanted to do this during that summer month of August. So I approached the Service Overseer about a pioneer slip for August in late June. To my shock and utter amazement, the elder told me that I did not qualify for one! So I approached the Presiding Overseer and told him that I had desired to auxiliary pioneer, but I was again told that I didn’t qualify. I told the P.O. that yes, I had only recently gotten baptized, but I had also been a publisher since age 12! The P.O. looked at me and said that the Service Overseer was correct, they would NOT give me a pioneer slip because I didn’t qualify! I walked away stunned. I didn't understand. I had always put in alot of hours as a publisher and I had never missed a month of turning in a Field Service slip. This discussion happened on a Sunday afternoon.

That upcoming Thursday, during the Service Meeting, the P.O. actually made a comment about me from the stage!!! He didn’t mention me by name, but said the following, “Some people think that just because they go out and get baptized, that they can also go out and become a pioneer. Well, we need QUALITY, not QUANTITY!!!”

Those are the exact words that he used. Considering that I was the only one that had been recently baptized, I was quite certain that the whole congregation knew that he was referring to me when he made that statement. I remember being genuinely hurt at the time. And that was also the first time that I began to question the so-called "love" within the JW congregation. Later on, when I began to question other things about The Org., I remembered that experience. Only this time it was with anger, not hurt. Just who in the hell did that arrogant S.O.B. think he was to question my integrity? And what gave him the right to use me as a negative example? As a matter of fact, I had been a publisher longer than he had been an elder!!! That was definitely the beginning of the end for me as a JW.

Did anyone else have an experience similiar to this? Where an elder talked about you from the stage or used you as a negative example among the congregation?

TCK

• Zico
    Zico

Why wouldn't you qualify? Is it a rule that you wait a few months.

Did the Service Overseer have a son who wasn't as 'spiritual' as you by any chance? The Society is actually desperate for quantity.

Quite recently, there was a local needs on not going to 'rock concerts' I know that was about me (and a few others) because my Dad told me it was 'discussed' in an elder's meeting. An elder found out, and didn't like it, so took it to the body. I was annoyed most by the fact the elder went behind my back and took it straight to a meeting, he should have come to me if he had a problem, that's what Jesus taught to do, but elders usually hide people other elders in their meetings, or behind their talks.

Since a couple other elder's sons went to similar events, nothing came of it other than the local needs though (Which I actually missed)

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was a ministerial servant, and another m.s. and I were part of a group that went out on New Years' Eve. If I remember, we went to watch a hockey game, go bowling, and then out to a restaurant afterwards. We were out after 1 a.m., and didn't do anything that JW's would find objectionable (other than being out a little late).

Then a couple of weeks later during a service meeting, we hear one of the elders say it isn't a good idea for ministerial servants to stay out really late at night. I was thinking "what the hell wrong did we do?". But nothing came of it.

But if the elders really wanted to address something they thought was wrong, why didn't they have the gonads to come talk to us about it directly? Did they hope we'd change from hearing it on stage, or did they really want to warn the congregation about how unspiritual their ministerial servants were?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

My wife auxiliary pioneered the month after she was baptized, so I don't think there was any blanket rule on the matter.

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    Did the Service Overseer have a son who wasn't as 'spiritual' as you by any chance?

Actually neither the Service Overseer or the Presiding Overseer had any kids. Like many congregations, there were few young people in attendance. I always had the feeling that the P.O. just didn't like me for whatever reason. Maybe he considered me "too young". I have always suspected too that it was a case of my having a "worldly" father. Only my mother was ever an active witness.

• Gopher
    Gopher

CoolerKing, I think you nailed it here:

I always had the feeling that the P.O. just didn't like me

The elders make up their own rules. So much for the "unity" among JW's.

Actually if this was the beginning of the end for you, as far as being a JW, they actually did you a favor - in the long run.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

Yes... I was baptized in February 1986. Been a publisher for years before and put in 90 hours a month as a rule with my mom. So I applied to reg pio the regulation 6 months after baptism and they said no, because I didn't have a car and I would be a burden on the congregation. Sure - I was 13.... But my mom pioneered too (she would not sign up though) - I think they were trying to pressure her into signing up.

• done4good
    done4good
    But if the elders really wanted to address something they thought was wrong, why didn't they have the gonads to come talk to us about it directly?

That kind of bullshit used to infuriate me. Fu&^%g cult!

j

• bernadette
    bernadette

Your experience reminds of when we moved to a new congregation after changing location. My husband was an MS and when the new set of elders heard his first talk they decided that he was too enthusiastic in his delivery so they told him he must learn from the others who were more calm (actually boring and staid). So he had to cool his heels for a while. At his previous congregation there had been no problem - he'd actually been commended for being enthusiastic and lively.

So it seems ones way of doing things and disposition makes a difference in some congregations

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    Actually if this was the beginning of the end for you, as far as being a JW, they actually did you a favor - in the long run.

Yup, that's very true Gopher! And that's exactly how I feel now.

The irony of this whole event was that I still managed to work 61 hrs. in Field Service during that month of August! Which was ONE hour more than would have been required had I actually been given the lousy pioneer slip! Like many teenagers, I was stubborn and wanted to prove to everyone that I could do it if given the chance.

Looking back now, I could have used that time so much more wisely!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit