pancreatic cancer and prayer

by nowisee 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

The "Whipple Procedure" is not new. It is,usually, performed on candidates without mets (metastasis).

The Whipple Procedure
    Also called a pancreaticoduodenectomy, which is generally the removal of the gallbladder, common bile duct, part of the duodenum, and the head of the pancreas.This operation was first described by .Dr. Alan O. Whipple of New York Memorial Hospital (now called Memorial Sloan-Kettering). Since that time, there have been many modifications and improvements of the procedure. There is a detailed account of the operative mortality rates and long-term survival rates in the Surgical Treatment and Research section of this site.

There are several variations of "the Whipple" currently practiced:

StandardWhipple with lymph node dissection

Organs removed during a Whipple
    Most common anatomy a Whipple
    Radical Whipple with lymph node dissection
    Pylorus Preserving- preserves the pylorus (where the stomach empties into the duodenum)
    Classic - includes removal of 40% of the stomach

Cancer in the Body or Tail of the Pancreas:
    Distal Pancreatectomy and Splenectomy- Removal of the tail and part of the body of the pancreas.

http://pathology2.jhu.edu/pancreas/whipple.cfm

Goals and Areas of Research
    About 28,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer each year and another 28,000 people die from it every year, making it the fourth-deadliest form of cancer in this country. Most cases occur after age 50, and slightly more men than women are affected. Cigarette smoking is one of the biggest risk factors for pancreatic cancer. Five to 10 percent of all the cancers are inherited. Surgery plus chemotherapy and radiation therapy may offer a chance for cure when the cancer is confined to the pancreas.

http://www.jwci.org/Research/PancreasProgram.htm

• nowisee
    nowisee

bebu - hello! so good to see you here on my thread. i have missed you, but i have not been around much, only now and then. to respond to you, i almost always qualify my prayers with, "yet not as i will, but thy will be done."

and on another note....i often too feel that God is taking care of me without my specific prayers. so often there should have been negative things in my life because of unfortunate circumstances or my own stupidity, and somehow i have been carried through or protected. sometimes such dire things have happened to me; yet i have been spared a negative outcome.

double edge - i truly appreciate your comments and take them to heart.

• nowisee
    nowisee

greendawn, have you regarding miracles, have you read "the road less traveled" by scott peck? you should. thx. ms. mcducket. that was informative.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm glad your friend is okay right now.

Personally, I see no correlation between prayer and healing/life. I used to, but no longer (I say this happily).

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

If prayer really worked, why bother with the surgery at all?

If you had to choose between the surgery and the prayer and could only choose one, which would you choose?

• bebu
    bebu

I am glad to see your postings, nowisee. They're always good.

If prayer really worked, why bother with the surgery at all?

There are probably people who believe like that already.

A different question is, why should God bother with letting us DO anything at all, since He could simply do everything for us? We could sit back and pray for endless pina coladas! (Well, okay, I might. )

My opinion is that humanity is being challenged and directed and helped to become something really great, individually and coporately. There is a lot of character that can potentially get developed in every difficult situation. Our knowledge base gets expanded, our problem-solving abilities get a workout, and we can live in these situations with courage and perseverence. Prayer brings in the virtue of humility to the equation.

2 cents,

bebu

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

A different question is, why should God bother with letting us DO anything at all, since He could simply do everything for us? We could sit back and pray for endless pina coladas! (Well, okay, I might. )

My opinion is that humanity is being challenged and directed and helped to become something really great, individually and coporately. There is a lot of character that can potentially get developed in every difficult situation. Our knowledge base gets expanded, our problem-solving abilities get a workout, and we can live in these situations with courage and perseverence. Prayer brings in the virtue of humility to the equation.

I TOTALLY agree.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Probably should have said "modern" instead of "new," as opposed to prayer, which is neither modern nor new. Regardless, resection surgeries are delicate and require great knowledge and skill from the performing surgeon, which is what I was commenting on. And I'm glad it was successful.

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

Your friend won a lottery...........plain, and simple.THAT IS ALL.........unless of course you can prove otherwise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit