Would you allow your kid to do a really dangerous sport?

by skeeter1 20 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I'd like to get your thoughts. We are torn parents. Having both been raised JWs, we said that we'd allow our kids to do what they wanted to in sports.

That all changed this past week, when we saw our 7 year old take a "heads first" plung into the dirt from the pony. The pony was changing from a trot to a canter. At the last split second, the body twisted and the shoulder struck first. We've seen falls before, but this one had the potential to be really, really bad.

Horseback riding is 10 times more dangerous than motorcycles. Serious accidents are said to happen once in every 200 hours of leisure riding.

The 7 year old loves horses, wants to grow up being a vet or a rodeo star or a cowboy. It's been this way since two years old! Movies, books, room, etc. are all about horses & farm life.

What do we do? Stop riding, and spoil dreams? Keep riding, and risk wheelchair/death? If something happened, I could not live with myself.

In an Equine Quandry, asking your opinion...

Skeeter

• blondie
    blondie

I think of Christopher Reeve, an accomplished horseman, yet.....

Take the necessary precautions to protect them physically. More children die in car accidents, yet....

Blondie

• helncon
    helncon

Thats a hard one.

Im all against out son when he is older to play rugby league, but soccor is fine.

I guess you have to take all the necessary precations that you can.

You never know he may not like horse riding in a few years and turn his attention to something else

Helen

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

My daughter has fallen a few times and broke her arm when she was 8. I really realized how dangerous the sport was two years ago during a show when a horse took off -- my daughter's horse took off also, but she got it under control - the other girl didn't, but eventually they got the horse back in order. These horses let an 80lb girl control them only by their good graces...

All that being said, yes I let my daughter ride. If she ends up dead or in a wheelchair I will not forgive myself of course. If I prevent her from riding she'll never ever forgive me.

And I do love to watch her ride and she gets so much out of it. Confidence, life, focus, good associations, a way to express herself, knowledge.

I doubt any of this helped...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..All sport is dangerous by nature..Find the right tutours..Sport feeds the soul...OUTLAW

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    What do we do? Stop riding, and spoil dreams? Keep riding, and risk wheelchair/death? If something happened, I could not live with myself.

As a parent I totally understand your fear and concerns. I had my kids involved in everything from horseback riding, snow skiing, water skiing, rock climbing, surfing, scuba diving, hiking, BMX racing and motorcycles of all kinds, oh and skateboards those little things are really dangerous!

All I can say that I learned as a parent is yes they will get injured and maybe not participating in said sport but just walking across the street! You really never know and you can't keep them in a bubble, darn!

The best thing is to make sure they are fully aware of the how's and whys of every sport. That they wear all the protective gear available and have first rate instructors!

Then the hard part as a parent is to not let them know you are fearful, they will have their own fears to contend with and if they even sense you are fearful they will be concentrating on YOU and not on the task at hand. One of my kids coaches told me this and to always send them off to have fun! Do not show your concerns or even voice them except to maybe tighten up the helmet a bit and give 'em a pat on the rump or if no one is looking a hug.

Out of 5 kids one broke both arms skateboarding and one leg too and not at the same time. He also broke his wrist falling off a wall. He also knocked out his front teeth playing tether-ball. Oh vay! Let see a couple of sprained ankles with two of the kids, they are as bad if not worse than a break imho. Some minor stitches from goofing off, can't remember how that was done but nothing to worry about.

Seems to me if you get them up and raised out the door on their own the worry doesn't stop there and then they go and add to it with their own kids (grand kids) who are off and running as well.......sigh it never stops and life is messy, you just hope for the best and if you're lucky (yes I said lucky) all turns out well and no one is worse for the wear, maybe a few shattered nerves but that's doable.

Hope your kiddo has lots of fun on the horse. I used to love riding horses myself and got thrown a couple of times barely missing a bolder with my noggin once, *ouch*! But it didn't stop me from riding I just held on tighter! LOL

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I thank all for your kind words.

After much thought, we are going to continue the horseriding - but with more restrictions.

We found a new product that might work...

It's an airbag in a jacket that works as a rider is falling off! It is marketed for motorcycles and horseback riding.

http://www.hit-air.com/horse/english/top/

Anyone used one of these? It's about $500 - alot cheaper than a spinal cord.

Skeeter

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Skeeter. If you don't buy it you'll feel guilty, especially if he/she falls again. If you do you'll know you've done all you can which is worth the price. (the killer will be as he/she outgrows this one and needs upper sizes!)

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Glad you found a solution!

Take all the precautions you can and keep him on the gentlest horses you can find.

My daughter rides horses sometimes and I do not go to watch. The last time I saw her ride, she ended up on a very jumpy horse and it wrecked my nerves. The other times she rode, she was in a better controlled environment and had gentler horses.

A friend of ours takes her and she always wears a helmet and is mindful of getting gentle horses due to daughter's limited experience.

She loves it and I understand why, but with my anxiety issues - whew - it's good she has someone else to take her - someone I trust as a very, very attentive and responsible parent.

I can relate to your angst - it is a worry, but you can't stop your kids from living their lives; we all take risks every day. Some risks are worth taking. Keep your son happy and be safe!

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

Well...........The sport your son has chosen does have its risks. BUT.at least it IS a relativly safe sport.....I mean it's not as if he's chosen B.A.S.E. jumping , or something. I can relate as I've been starting to teach my 6 year old daughter how to surf..which also has its share of danger.especially where we live. having said this.I also believe it will contribute to her growing up with a POSITIVE self image.. Granted there is always a risk of drowning, paralysis.whatever....but as they grow.and get more experience, I feel the benefits FAR outway the potential risks. Having been raised a witness.I wasn't allowed to do many sports.ie.football, wrestleing..etc...so instead I started doing drugs, and partying....... I SAY RIDE ON LITTLE COWBOY! Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit