Sunday Notes at the District Convention – An emotional plea to “young ones”

by truthseeker 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Interesting! Thanks for posting about the convention. I think they are also trying to get new people buy not mention invisible between Christ and Coming.

see March 15 WT.

• penny2
    penny2

I dread my nieces and nephews being subjected to this brainwashing. The convention in our area is in August - middle of winter. Is it mean of me to hope that if they are going to be sick this year, that it happens during the DC?

• Odrade
    Odrade

bleh. the only thing I wish to say about all of that horsepucky is that a coffee cup used to be 6 oz. Not 20. So there. Liars. Don't lie about the coffee.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Great comments everyone.

I've often wondered if there was a "higher intelligence" in Bethel/Patterson - someone who intimately knows all the arguments for and against the Society and its teachings.

As I've said before, they have over 100 years of experience to know what works - and what doesn't.

Someone, somewhere has to sit down and try and find new ways of recruiting and as mentioned above, the bait-and-switch technique. While keeping the program Christ-centric,

they subtley introduce the faithful slave doctrine at the end of the program to bored and zoned out minds. It makes for easier acceptance.

If they introduced the faithful and discreet slave at the beginning of the program, some minds may note the cognitive dissonance when the speaker quotes scripture "I am the way, the truth and the life - no one comes to the Father except through me."

It would be worth doing a pyschological profile on a Watchtower writer with above average intelligence

1) Does the individual detach himself from human emotions to avoid induced guilt by deliberate manipulation of others?

2) Does the individual really believe what is taught and at the same time find no conflict in modifying, changing or deleting old doctrines that no longer conform to Society teachings and that deliberately "go beyond the things written."

3) Is the individual well versed in the art of thought control and behavioral modification. Such behavioral control might include emotional arousing Kingdom melodies played after a sensational talk, such as "We thank you Jehovah" or such like - therefore reinforcing the supposed unity of the organization in a believer's mind.

Consider the structual layout of the convention program that may use behavior/thought modification

Statement as fact prior to musical interlude: "Brothers and sisters, you WILL enjoy the musical interlude that the Society has prepared for you."

Arousing musical interludes SIGNAL the time when convention delegates should FIND their seats

Introductory comments from convention chairman to "review the program and BUILD appreciation for what is in store" (Anticipation)

Well spaced song breaks to refresh the mind and stretch the legs while keeping attendees standing for announcements on the "problem we are having with chewing gum"

"You may be seated" after the said announcements. Audience is already used to the stand up/stand down implied obedience.

Saturday/Sunday afternoon announcements - accounts report and manufactured deficit is read off with an implied plea for "brothers to do the right thing."

This year was the first time in ages that the Drama was held on Sunday afternoon. No doubt, this was done to get the maximum possible attendance as well as to make sure that everyone attends all three days.

Try it yourself if you have a convention program - notice that the times and talk lengths are generally universal and rarely deviate.

• Mulan
    Mulan

District conventions already?? It's not even summer yet. Where was this convention? I had no idea they have them in May.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Truthseeker,

Thank you for notes.

I HATED the DCs. We were always struggling, financially and health wise, and would, each year, go in the hole and it would taked months to recover. Way over crowded bathrooms, trying to cheer up our kids, dealing with the chronic, life threatning situation of our oldest daughter, trying to "get by" by going the cheap on meals...trying to cook in hotel rooms, worrying about gas money, on and on and on.....

One year, we went to Tulsa and maxed a credit card. We ate out, stayed in a nice hotel, maxed the whole deal. Had a great time. OK....so THIS is why the bros with money do not mind the conventions....see it now.....

Then, a couple of years paying back the card.

So much for that fun time.

Appreciate your sacrifice of time and effort.

Glad I was not there.

Yours in this Journey,

V

• heathen
    heathen

I'm even surprised they got an early convention program. They must be hurting for money big time and that is just another way for them to attempt to raise it . Those child molestation suits must have put them in the red .

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I can't believe it is already this time of the year. I didn't know they had them in May. I always they started in June. How many were baptized at the convention you attended?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

a Watchtower writer with above average intelligence

I think that's an oxymoron!

Cog

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Truthseeker, you are a hero for sitting through 3 days of this crap,
    I couldn't do 3 minutes. Thanks for the review

Saturday/Sunday afternoon announcements - accounts report and manufactured deficit is read off with an implied plea for "brothers to do the right thing."

Of course, it wouldn't seem like an assembly without this item.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit