Unscriptural

by RollerDave 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Just had a lovely chat with my mom today.

After hashing out a bunch of other business, she asked what we were up to this monday. Of course I told her we were going out to see dad.

This gave her pause because she is well aware that dad is rather deceased. She sputters 'you mean... His grave? ...'

'Why would you, I mean, you know he's not there.'

'Well, mom, it's how I show my respect. we go every year.'

She replied in a manner that I had heard many times over the years, 'well, that's just unscriptural.'

For some reason the term 'unscriptural' jumped out at me for the first time.

This term seems to suggest a mindset that operates on the principle of everything being forbidden unless specific authorization can be found allowing it. Since many of the things for which a person with such a mindset in modern times would seek to find authorization involve technology or situations that have no viable biblical corollary, authority beyond what is provided within the bible must be found.

This authority takes on an authority equal to that of scipture since it is a magnification, and extensios, of those scriptures.

Thus we find a situation that is not mentioned anywhere in the bible being refered to as 'unscriptural'.

So where would one find the 'scriptural' requirement regarding visiting a grave? What actual biblical principle would such a 'requirement' be based upon?

Ancestor worship? idolatry? Association?

More likely that the time could be better spent stomping around screeching.

So there we have it, the WT stand that unless something is specifically permitted the answer is 'no' vs the authentic Christian way that except for a few prohibitions, most things are OK unless they would stumble someone.

Annoying.

Roller

• Swan
    Swan

Just off the top of my head, didn't Jesus visit Lazarus' grave?

Tammy

• Open mind
    Open mind

"More likely that the time could be better spent stomping around screeching."

ROTFLMAO. Thought I'd heard every possible description of door banging already, but that one is priceless!

Keep on rollin' Roller Dave!

Open Mind

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Haven't had a chance to check references yet, but weren't the Jewish tombs acknowledged all year round, except at Passover when they were painted white ? Hence - "you whitewashed tombs" ???

Just a thought - don't flame me if I'm wrong

Also, Mary visited Jesus' tomb.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Open Mind, I wish I could claim 'stomping around screeching' but I got it from WT Wizard. I don't remember if he said the stomping around bit, but I know I pictured it that way while reading his posts.

Hmm, The jews visited tombs! That sounds very scriptural to me!

I think my mom may just be a bit batty over and above her WT-ness.

Roller

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

While conducting some personal Family History research, I asked a (newly-found) cousin in France for photos of some graves.

She explained that she could not do so during Passover but was later able to send me photos of my Jewish relatives' graves. She was not in the least bit concerned that I am a Christian and had never experienced the Jewish religion of my Viennese parents.

Doug

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

That's just one of the buzz words J-dubs bandy about all the time. Sometimes I wonder if they even have a CLUE what they're talking about.

So where would one find the 'scriptural' requirement regarding visiting a grave? What actual biblical principle would such a 'requirement' be based upon?

Ancestor worship? idolatry? Association?

One of the most blatant examples of idolatry in JWism occurs every 6 months when the Circuit Overbearance Circuit Overseer comes around. Have they ever thought of that?

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

OOOOH!

The all sit around doing acts of obeisance, sacrifices of time, and the occasional apostate scapegoat.

BOW DOWN TO THE HIGH LORD C.O.!

YOu got a good point there, but I don't expect it will get much traction with my delusional fam.

Roller

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

"Remember the account in Jerimizah about the Hebrew girl captured by the Hiptites? She went to the grave of her fourfathers and because there were four of them couldn't tell her true lineage. When the chief of the Hiptites found out, they had a celebration at which her head was cut off and her skull given to the elders as a salad bowl. That's why the annointed Ruth class don't visit graves."

WT 10/11 1876

Isn't that enough proof that it's unscriptural to visit graves?

W.Once

• Warlock
    Warlock

What they will do is bring up the scripture where Jesus tells the man "Let the dead, bury the dead".

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit