Does eating a rare steak = eating blood?

by neverendingjourney 54 Replies latest jw friends

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I always wondered about this when I was still a JW. I just assumed that it was improper for a JW to eat any meat that wasn't thoroughly cooked, especially steak. I though everyone could see that the red juice contained blood, which, if eaten, amounted to a violation of the prohibition against eating blood. Shortly after I was baptized I was shocked when a brother ordered a "bloody" steak for dinner. The middle of the steak was pink and it oozed out red "juices" from the center. Not long afterward I saw an elder preparing his steaks the same way. When I asked him about it, he got defensive and told me that the society had published an article telling us not to speculate about such matters and that they would let us know which foods were inappropriate for a Christian (such as blood sausage) to consume. I began to do some research, and I never found any explicit prohibition against eating rare steaks, so I let the matter slide, but I never found a satisfactory answer.

As I grew older and began to think for myself, I realized that it didn't really matter how well the steak was cooked. If the meat had blood in it and I managed to cook it until it was burned to a crisp, the blood would still be there. It would just be cooked along with the rest of the steak. I began to see that eating a rare piece of steak shouldn't matter because if organ transplants were okay, then eating even an uncooked steak would be okay as well. You see, using the same blood transfusion equals eating blood logic, if you allow an entire liver, for instance, to enter your body via an organ transplant then what would be the difference if you ate an entire raw, uncooked liver.

Of course, this began to raise a whole host of questions. Should we be so legalistic about the blood issue (to the point that the Society goes through procedure after procedure, fraction after fraction, deciding which are conscience issues, which are entirely okay, and which are prohibited outright) if it is impossible to eat meat without eating blood? If God (assuming that there is a God and that he/she directed the writing of the Bible) intended for there to be such an absolute prohibition on humans allowing blood to enter their systems, why didn't he just outright ban eating meat in the first place? If I cut my tongue or bite my cheek while eating and I end up swallowing some of my own blood, haven't I sinned against Jehovah? Should I be disciplined because of it?

I'd like to hear if any of you ever wondered about this when you were still in the org. and what answers, if any, you received. Thanks

• BrentR
    BrentR

Yes it does but don't tell the JW's that. They would have to create yet another hypocritical rationalization.

• Scully
    Scully

Apparently Ted Jaracz likes his Filet Mignon rare.

• JH
    JH
    Apparently Ted Jaracz likes his Filet Mignon rare.

I heard that he loves drining bloody marys.....

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I was always told it wasn't blood it was "meat juice". lol

Of course you are right - eating the steak rare or well done (yuck), if the blood is there, it's there, no matter how it's cooked.

BB (of the Medium Rare Steak class)

• Scully
    Scully

If they were truly going to be sticklers regarding the dietary laws against eating blood, JWs would be going to a Kosher butcher for their meat, not to any old supermarket.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I brought the subject up numerous times when I was a JW, when it was obvious that the rare steaks were lying in a pool of blood. I was told in no uncertain terms that it was not blood, but juice, and obviously there was something wrong with me because I couldn't tell the difference.

W

• Scully
    Scully

Yeah, I heard that rationalization too, Finally-Free. I guess if it's not flowing out of a wound, it isn't blood.

It's probably why a lot of JW kids don't have microscope kits - we can't have them going around checking "meat juice" for red blood cells and stuff like that.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Not raised a JW here, but mom reduced our EWWWW factor by telling us the same thing. She said the butcher injected the red juice in to the animal after it was killed.

Me, I wasn't so smart. I dissected a fish for my children as a science lesson before I cooked it. I couldn't get them to touch it after that.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There may be some blood depending on how the meat is prepared beforehand (the Society, after all, does not require kosher standards for meat), but the red color of raw/rare meat is mostly from myoglobin -- not blood. It's a very similar molecule to hemoglobin (it transports oxygen to the muscles), but not the same thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit