Owning Cats discouraged by JWs? Was that ever anything taught in the Truth?

by NotaNess 11 Replies latest jw friends

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

I came across a sight a while back where an overseer posted a topic on cats having pagan and worship origins, and giving scriptural reason why "True Christians" should avoid owning cats.

This was a site from someone not in America.

Any experiences on this at all? I had a witness say this was obviously posted by the "evil slave", and was not a witness, cause that's never been taught by the FDS.

What can you tell me?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

LOL! Yes, that was a very well written watchtower parody. I sent it to my JW sister and she thought it was real too. She emailed me back and said, "I've don't remember that article. I'm going to have to do some research about that one." I nearly fell out of my seat laughing!

It just goes to prove that the Watchtower style of writing can make ANYTHING sound logical, no matter how illogical it really is!

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I remember occasionally they would have talks about keeping pets in their place. Mostly they talked about how sinful it is to spoil or indulge your lowly dog, and how a pet would take time away from other more important activities like having your brain washed.

After one such talk at a circuit assembly a brother went home and shot his childrens two dogs, or that's the rumor I heard the next day, after the morning session.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

It's not real. It was written by someone that wanted to make the point that you can turn just about anything into doctrine using JW logic. It's pretty funny, though.

• PinTail
    PinTail

Yeah I remember reading an Awake many years ago that said that very think , it was back in the early 60's. Meyow

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yes, twas parody.

And I love it!

• erandir
    erandir

Can anyone find a copy of it and post the link? I, for one, would love to read it.

Thanks,

Erandir

• Wild_Thing
  • ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

After one such talk at a circuit assembly a brother went home and shot his childrens two dogs, or that's the rumor I heard the next day, after the morning session.

I thought that JW's could not own a gun

• minimus
    minimus

I remember a CA where the talk was given regarding putting pets in their place. It was VERY strongly discouraged to have pets that could time away from more important spiritual matters. It created a controversy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit