churches or spas

by BR25 3 Replies latest jw friends

• BR25
    BR25

I know alot of topics on here are focused on how boring the jw faith is and all the stuff about what you can and can not do. I thought I would ask the reverse questions about church. I know some of you might go to smaller churches so this may not apply to you, but talking to some of my buddies and from people at work sometimes I think they just go to church fo the girls and for all the recreation. I have actually been to some of their churches and it seems like they are set up more like a fitness center/ spa than a place of worship. My buddies are always talking about their softball and basketball leagues and they hardly ever say anything about the church itself.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with this, but I was just wondering if you didnt have these things in some churches do you think as many people would go? (especially younger ones). I love all sports and would enjoy playing in a league, but the guys I talk to at work say you have to go to the church to participate, and they make it sound all great, but the conversation is never centered around the church, so should I consider this bribary?

IF YOU WOULD PLEASE JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS. I DIDNT ASK FOR SARCASTIC COMEBACKS OR COMPARISONS OF THE JW FAITH VS. CHURCHES.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    I love all sports and would enjoy playing in a league, but the guys I talk to at work say you have to go to the church to participate, and they make it sound all great, but the conversation is never centered around the church, so should I consider this bribary?

I played in a church basketball league as a teenager for a Lutheran Church. Had a blast. Never stepped inside the church itself. Couldn't tell you what it looked like. I belonged to another religion completely. If you want to go play sports with your buds from work, then go for it. You may find it refreshing NOT to talk about religion and just play for the fun of it, like when you were a kid.

• Nowman
    Nowman

I think that what you experienced is typical, I think that alot of people go to "church" for the social aspect only, this may be where they were able to find people to click with...or they go because their spouse goes, but socially they feel its great regardless of what they believe spiritually.

Nikki

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

so should I consider this bribary?

Yes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit