by kifoy 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kifoy
    kifoy

When you were still a "good" JW (and not doing any apostate searching on your own):
    How many of you had heard of the year 1799 as a "Watchtower date"?

If you still haven't heard:
    <http://blogs.salon.com/0001561/stories/2005/01/09/watchtowerDatesTheJehovahsWitnessesAndPropheticYears.html>

And after learning that they really believed that the "last days" started in 1799 (even as late as 1930, when it was replaced by 1914, they believed that -- 1930!), what was your first thought?

I first leared about 1799 a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still kind of stunned. "Eh... What?"

Even my parents, who are still "in" and has been JW's for over 30 years, when they saw it in the book Harp of God recently, they also looked a little stunned and said they _never_ heard of it.

How strange.

I can say that I knew about 1874, but I truly had the understanding that they dropped that date _prior_ to 1914. I thought that not very long after 1914, they only believed in 1914.

But suddenly I learn about 1799! And not the least, that they were still holding on to both 1799 and 1874 almost 20 _years_ after 1914! How funny is that!

Admitting to be wrong about 1874 is one thing, but I can see that admitting to be wrong about 1799 is not that easy... so let's hush up about that...?

LOL :-)

kifoy

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Of course I had never heard of it.

It was one of several questions I posed to an elder who was trying to "straighten me out".

He said he never heard of it either. LMAO!

It's not in the WT cd-rom.

Wonder why.

Hmmmmm?

• Honesty
    Honesty

I have the HARP of GOD and 1799 is in there along with 1874.

I had 2 JW elders run out of the house I was visiting when I pulled the book out and told them that since JW's have the truth could they discuss the HARP of GOD with me.

Just like the apostates, JW's recognise mushroom food when they see it, too.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I didn't have a clue about 1874 and 1878 let alone 1799. It goes to show that the JWs are nothing but an adventist Millerite offshoot that got all the end of times dates from their mother religion something they wish to hide from their followers hence their total silence on the matter.

All those dates were wrong as were all the dates the JWs produced later carrying the chain of dates that began with Miller. And with such an abysmal record no doubt any they will produce in the future will be just as wrong.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

1799 just seems so very long ago. It's like saying that Jesus came in 1492.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Didn't Jesus come like 2000 years ago?

• Faraon
    Faraon

Leolia:

1799 just seems so very long ago. It's like saying that Jesus came in 1492.

He did come on October 12, 1492.

He was unknown in America before this date.

• TD
    TD
    He was unknown in America before this date.

Those rotten Lamanites!

• kifoy
    kifoy

By the way.

I found The Harp of God on Project Gutenberg:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12868/12868-h/12868-h.htm

Enjoy :-)

kifoy

• sir82
    sir82
    1799 just seems so very long ago.

1914 is receding pretty quickly too! I think there are less than 20 or so WWI veterans left.

2014 will, I think, have a pronounced psychological effect on whatever JWs remain then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit