I need help from researchers

by ex-nj-jw 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I recently started talking to an old friend that is still a JDUB. I think he is starting to have some doubts about JDUBism due to some events in his personal life recently.

I think I remember a thread not too long ago about different pagan beliefs/rituals that JDUB's observe. Like wedding rings, bridal gowns and the whole bridal shower stuff, and if I'm not mistaken the whole wedding cermony thing also.

If anyone knows where I can find out this information that shows some pagan rituals that JDUB's currently participate in I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a million

nj

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I can't recall, but I'll give this a "bttt" for you.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Well there's wedding rings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_rings

And shaving... it's required so I'd call it a ritual! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaving#History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_removal#For_religious_reasons

http://www.depilatory.com/ages.html

Frankly though, I can't think of many rituals that they allow... whether they're pagan or not!

Lore

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

from the Encyclopedia Britannica, which, is a resource the society readily uses in much of it's publications states, we are told that this use of the ring which was thus a purely secular origin received ecclesiastical sanction...from the eleventh century. this was the age of spiritual darkness, when the church was practicing much corruption and many pagan customs, some of which were never dropped.

from secular history, we learn that the ancient pagan romans were responsible for the beginning of the use of wedding rings. originally, the ring was placed on the third finger of the left hand because of a superstitious belief that a vein from this finger runs directly to the heart.

hope this helps.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

check this website out also. www.our-wedding-plans.co.uk/rings this is a good place to look.

• bigdreaux
  • Faraon
    Faraon

Baptism

Ties

Names of the months and days of the week

Hand shaking

Embalming

Books

Printing press.

Just about you can think of that is not in the bible used by the Hebrews. Of course, if the Hebrews used it, it ceased to be of pagan origin, even if pagans invented it.

Nowadays you could say that cell phones, computers, airplanes, etc. are of pagan origin.

Faraón

• Kudra
    Kudra

Faraon,

I had a friend whose sister used to call him "Faraon" (after "Pharoah" in Spanish).

Is that you...?

-Kudra

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I'm no researcher, but I found this site very informative regarding rings.

Here's a short synopsis from this site (It had gobs of information regarding rings.):

Betrothal Ring. The Romans were also the first to use finger rings to "tie" people not only to their social classes, but also to their marital partners. During the betrothal ceremony the bridegroom gave a plain iron finger ring to the family of the bride as a symbol of his commitment and financial ability to support the bride. Marriages were not made in heaven but over a negotiating table. Originally the betrothal ceremony was more elaborate and important than the marriage rite, which was a simple fulfillment of the betrothal commitment. It was only much later in Christian history that the ring was made part of the wedding ceremony.

In his book How It Began Paul Berdanier claims that the binding use of the ring for betrothal ceremonies developed from an older superstitious practice in which a man tied cords around the waist, wrists and ankles of the woman he had fallen in love with, to make sure that her spirit would be held under his control. 7 The pagan superstitions surrounding the origin of the Roman betrothal ring did not deter early Christians from adopting its use. Before looking at the Christian use of the finger ring, it may be well to mention a few pagan superstitions associated with the finger ring. This will help us place the wedding ring in its historical context.

Other topics:

The "Magic Power" of Finger Rings

Poison Finger Rings

Astrological Finger Rings

Implications of Ring’s Pagan Origin. The few examples cited above about the various superstitious and idolatrous use of finger rings are far from being exhaustive. The major encyclopedias I have consulted have lengthy articles describing the superstitious use of finger rings as charms, amulets, talismans, and as aids to the worship of various pagan gods. 13 What has been mentioned should suffice to show that the origin of the finger ring is to be found in pagan superstitions and idolatrous practices.

The pagan origin and meanings of the finger ring raise questions about the legitimacy of its adoption by Christians to represents marital commitment. In the Bible the value of symbols is determined by their origin and meaning. The Sabbath, the Passover lamb and blood, the Lord’s Supper, baptism, and footwashing are all valuable symbols, because they have been established by God to help us conceptualize and internalize spiritual realities. Their value is derived from their divine origin, meaning, and function. By contrast, the meaning of the wedding ring as a symbol of marital commitment finds its origin not in Scripture, but in pagan mythology and superstitions. To invest a pagan symbol with a sacred Christian meaning, can easily lead to a secularization of the symbol itself. As we shall see, this is exactly what has happened with the use of the wedding ring.

http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/christian_dress/4.html

• Faraon
    Faraon

Hi Kudra,

I had a friend whose sister used to call him "Faraon" (after "Pharoah" in Spanish).
    Is that you...?

My sisters and my friends used to call me Faraón, but I don't seem to recall you. I am 62 years old, born in Mexico but living in the USA since 1962.

Faraon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit