Pulmonary embolism

by Insomniac 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Hi, all. I just found out through the grapevine that my brother had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot went into his lung and almost killed him) a couple of weeks ago. He's ok now, and the doc has him on blood thinners, which he'll need for the rest of his life, to keep it from happening again. It's pretty amazing that he survived, as these things are usually only diagnosed during autopsies, it's not too often people survive them. Unfortunately, his was caused by a genetic mutation that I have a 50% chance of carrying as well. So, now I need to get tested and start taking blood thinners if I've got it. Does anybody here know anything about this condition, or have any experience with the medication Warfarin? Any info would be much appreciated.

• juni
    juni

Hi and good morning!

I know they do use Warfarin for thinning the blood. It would probably be best, in my opinion, to talk w/your doctor about side affects of the meds and the medical condition.

Happy to hear your brother will be fine.... that would be scary.

Juni

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Don't know anything about that disease....

But really sorry to hear about your brother! Hope he gets to feeling better.

CG

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Thanks, CG. I talked to him right after I talked to you the other night. I'm actually glad in a way I didn't hear about it until after it was over, as I would have prolly died from worry. Hey- now you can really say I'm a genetic mutant! ;)

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I have 2 blood conditions that cause my arteries to build up more quickly with plaque and also a higher chance of blood clots because of certain levels of things in my blood.

I went to a number of different hematologists. I take my medications faithfully because I want to be around for my children.

For me, its most dangerous when I am pregnant....which I am right now...pregnant with #3. I take daily injections of blood thinners and a bunch of other vitamins, minerals, & baby aspirin.

Definately go to your doctor and tell them what your brother has and ask to be referred to a hematologist. I hope your brother continues to do well. Knowledge is power, take care of yourself.

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• Mary
    Mary
    Does anybody here know anything about this condition, or have any experience with the medication Warfarin? Any info would be much appreciated.

Yes. My mom had a pulmonary embolism right in front of me a few years ago. She had broken her ankle and the stupid doctor did not set the ankle and did not prescribe anticoagulants for her even though that's standard practice in someone over the age of 50. The clot went to her right lung (it was her right leg that she broke). Had it gone to her left one, it most likely would have killed her. She was in the hospital for 3 weeks and was put on coumadin and warfarin and eventually recovered although I think it did some permanent damage somewhere as she gets sick quicker now than she did before.

I was also on Warfarin a few years ago. Unbeknown to me at the time I had endometrial cancer and instead of ordering some lab tests, my idiot doctor put me on a double dosage of the birth control pill. My left leg started to ache and a few weeks went by and one day in the bath, my left leg suddenly swelled up to 3 times its normal size. It scared the hell out of me as it was as hard as a baseball bat. Went to Emergency, they discovered a blot clot behind my left knee, put me on Warfarin and Coumadin for 6 months. It's important to get your blood measured when you're on Warfarin (which is basically rat poison), because too much and it can be lethal, too little and it doesn't do it's job.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Chrystal, it sounds like you're taking your health very seriously. I wish you all the best during your pregnancy. Do you find the blood thinners have many adverse side-effects?

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Insomniac,

Aside from the black, blue, purple and yellow marks on my stomach from the injections of blood thinners, I haven't had any problems. Obviously, I won't be doing any bikini modelling....

I'm really upset about this, I'd been planning on doing some pregnant bikini modelling...Just kidding.

Nope, no problems at all. Before I was diagnosed, all the blood tests to find out what I had was annoying and a bit frightening. But now that I know what I have and how to take care of myself I feel a lot happier.

I am careful on long car rides, sitting at work and on airplanes. I get up and move about a lot.

We had also had our oldest son tested and our youngest as well. So far, no problems with them which is wonderful news.

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Warfarin, aka Coumadin, was originally discovered as a result of agricultural investigations into the deeaths of some cattle in the USA that ate clover that had fermented. The fermented clover thinned the blood of some of these cows so much that they died. The active agent became known as warfarin. Warfarin is named after WARF, the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, to which Professor Link assigned the patent. Warfarin was originally marketed as a rodenticide (the rats bleed to death). Later it ws realized to be helpful in very small doses to people who had a risk of "throwing clots."

Vitamin K (from green leafy vegetables) reduces the effect of warfarin. Other vitamins and supplements (and some foods and alcohol) also act as blood thinners, so their interaction with warfarin is something the patient needs to recognize.

You may find it helpful to take 3 grams of Vitamin C each day and 4 grams of Fish Oil. Both of these supplements thin the blood, but they provide additional benefits too. The dosage of warfarin will start very low and gradually be ramped up until you get into the target range for your blood protime or INR tests. The tests will be done every 2 to 4 weeks, and the "finger-stick" INR is easier than the "blood draw" protime test.

• DJK
    DJK

Talk to your doctor. Maybe he would recommend aspirin on a daily basis. That may work and be better than side effects from drugs. I'm on aspirin because of mini strokes caused by clots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit