Do You Miss Not Being With Your JW Family & Friends?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Personally, I keep very little contact with any of my Witness family except my mom. I don't miss the conditional friends or family, really. but I do know that many here are devastated by their being abandoned. What's your situation?

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I don't have any jw family, and since my "friends" almost all ignore me
    now, I'm not missing them either.

• bluebell
    bluebell

Like you minimus I only have contact with my Mom really.

The thing is, when i was a witness it was always me keeping in touch with others and not much the other way round, so no surprise i have no contact now really as i don't make the effort and they never will.

i would like more contact with my family sometimes, but really they are so judgemental and never really liked me much anyhow, not surprisingly, as i was mostly depressed, and you know how witnesses are with a depressed soul - they run a mile!

it just upsets me that i put in so much effort with my family and friends and they dont really give a shit that i am now so much happier. wonder what they'd do if they found out that dear old daddy abused me? those that do know (sisters and 3 close friends) still have nothing to do with me despite knowing why i left. i'd just like to tell my cousins and uncle&auntie and see what they make of everything then!

bitter? moi?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Nope its been 16 years now and I just found new family and friends who I worship and adore!

• Highlander
    Highlander

To be quite honest, no, I don't miss my family at all.

Once I was initially shunned, everything became clear to me. I realized how conditional the family structure is and that I'm only important to them if I kneel down with them

at the watchtower altar. It is actually a relief to be shunned and it feels like a load has been lifted off of my shoulders(so much for their load being light as Jesus described).

I do realize though that it is very difficult for some. I know that many have committed suicide due to the shunning policy. I hope that I never head down that road and that all others

are able to reach the point that I am at right now.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Minimus..I have very little contact also..Constant preaching after I asked them to stop took it`s toll.....When your ready to explain things with a baseball bat,it`s time to say goodbye...OUTLAW

• zack
    zack

I am only a slow fader at the moment ( well, actually, the fade is pretty speedy) so i cannot comment on a total lack of contact.

But about three months ago, maybe four, I told my closest friends that I wasn't going to three meetings a week, feild service every Saturday, and three weekends a year at

Assemblies. Couldn't do it. Wouldn't do it.

This, of course, is far less drastic then an all out DA. So far everyone has accepted what I had to say and why I said it because I think they see the truth in what I have to say.

I know the day will come when I will not be able to straddle the fence. I simply cannot stay part of something which has so heinously misrepresented itself and which has by device and

strategy heaped guilt and dissension on the lives of so many who trusted it for so long. I will not be able to stay quiet. And so, I beleive my "friends" will at that point not be

my "friends" any longer. The more I think about it, the more I can accept it. The choice is theirs. No one who chooses a nameless, faceless corporation over a living, breathing, memory

sharing human being do i want as a friend. Somehow I feel, and this is strictly personal, that if I do not explicitly end my association with the WTS, I will become a sharer with it

in its guilt.

Sorry for the long answer, but I am at the point that mentally I have moved on. It was all a lie and any good feelings I may have felt and any sincerity with which i was fed these lies cannot

overcome the fact that it was a lie. I cannot give my silent assent to the lie much longer, and if being able to live with myself comes with the price of loss of friends and family,

then I am resigned to pay it.

• minimus
    minimus

Once you mentally move on, it's easier to accept that JWs are stuck in a cult mentality. Still, I feel very bad for those who were very close and just like that----you were ostracized.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I have brief fleeting moments of weakness where I wish I could give my mother and grandmother huge hugs and talk to them about my days events.

But, that never even happened when I was a witness.

So I'm going with a big NO.

• minimus
    minimus

I believe it's quite natural to yearn for special affection from one's family. And it's not a bad thing, either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit