article on settlement not in our paper, just the online version

by Mulan 8 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Mulan
    Mulan

I went through our morning paper, twice, but the article is not there. It is online though, but you have to have the link. The front page has no information to get you there. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Jehovahs_Witnesses_Sex_Abuse.html

Disappointing, but predictable. No one really is interested in Jehovah's witnesses, except them, and us.

• yucca
    yucca

I was watching the court channel this morning. They have the latest news going across the screen. Then came the news of JW's settlement because of molestations. I hope some JWS watch the court channel who didn't know about it.I guess they would say the news is a lie tho .

• Gerard
    Gerard

If two witnesses are lacking, the accused is deemed innocent, charges remain confidential and - silentlambs says - parents who warn others are subject to disfellowshipping for slander. Disfellowshipping is an extreme penalty that means a total cutoff of relationships by family members, friends and business associates who are Witnesses.

I think the article touched the core of the problem. Why was it disapointing for you Mulan? Other than it was not on the front page.

G

• timmycat
    timmycat

The two witnessess for abuse cases no longer exists as much as I was told. I came back last year after being out for nearly 14yrs. The first question I asked was what does the Society do about child abuse, I was informed that the two witness was not necassary (that was ridiculous, as we all know how that could have even had that for this sort of crime) and they said that they are disfellowshiped, for life or a very long time, I think they said life. As I do believe there is no cure for it. But one sister told me of a case in the congregation ten yrs ago when a brother was accused of trying to interfere with children, the kids went to their parents in turn the parents went to the elders, a trap was set for him at the kingdom hall outside, and he was caught trying to coherce a couple of younger sisters. He was handed over to the police and disfellowshiped.

• MR. BORN AGAIN
    MR. BORN AGAIN

Here in middle Tennessee the local news ran a short part on the silent lamb press report. That was Thursday and on Friday I herd one of the radio stations mention the settlements in their news run down. Both of the reports were short and straight to the point but er'little bit helps. Be blessed!

• dedpoet
    dedpoet
    The two witnessess for abuse cases no longer exists as much as I was told. I came back last year after being out for nearly 14yrs. The first question I asked was what does the Society do about child abuse, I was informed that the two witness was not necassary

Well, it's still applied in the UK, and I'd bet everywhere else. We all know
    that the jws use it to avoid dealing with child abuse cases, and preserve
    their precious reputation, which is obviously more important than the welfare
    of a child. To abandon it would mean that they admit they have a problem, and
    might even be wrong about something, and the watchtower simply don't do
    that.

Mulan:

I went through our morning paper, twice, but the article is not there

I haven't heard of it getting much publicity in the UK, and I've emailed a few
    of the national daily papers. I hoped they might be interested as we had a
    particularly unpleasant chils abuse case in the news recently here, and it
    involved a jw. Maybe some might use it, I hope so, but as you say, contrary
    to what the watchtower thinks, there is very little general interest in jw issues
    anyway.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I came back last year after being out for nearly 14yrs.

This caught my eye, timmycat. Am I to understand that you are currently a JW in good standing? And did you leave for intellectual reasons or for infractions? Inquiring minds want to know....................

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I think the article touched the core of the problem. Why was it disapointing for you Mulan? Other than it was not on the front page.

The article was good, it just wasn't in the paper. It was ONLY online.

It was printed on page 7 of a smaller community newspaper, The Everett Herald. I got that one.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

My Mom also saw it on Court TV. Im not sure if any of the local papers here in Tennessee picked it up, I bought a few on friday, but none since.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit