Diamonds, Are They a Scam?

by Satanus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• south african beef
    south african beef

Jewellery, particularly diamond pieces are one of the very few articles that after you have finished with them you can take them back to a store and get some money back. You don't buy a coat, wear it for years then take it back and say can you work out the value please and give me some money?

Don't forget, whatever the retailer gives you will be the lowest price - he is gambling with his own money, the item may have to be broken up and the stone reset into a new more saleable item. All this costs money, and something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it -Upton Sinclair

• minimus
    minimus

I just got a call from my best friend. He called me crying. They just found his 34 year old son dead from an apparent OD. He was the nicest kid. My friend's leaving Florida right now to come up north. So sad. Kinda puts things in perspective. So, I'll let this subject that we've been discussing go for now.

• frozen one
    frozen one

If a person wants diamonds without the conflict fuss, buy them from Canada.

http://www.canadadiamonds.com/

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Frozen One,

Yes, that is an option. I look forward to seeing how the Canadian Diamond mines (free-market)undermine the DeBeers, et al, racket.

I just hope the Canadian mines don't do the easy thing and "follow the leader" on pricing.

It will be interesting to see how this develops...

BA

• greendawn
    greendawn

Strangely enough diamonds are closely related to graphite the substance used in pencils, they are both made of carbon but this is arranged in different ways in the two giving them a different nature also making diamond the hardest substance in the world.

It's all down to the vanity of the individual if there are cheap artificial diamonds that are almost impossible to distinguish from the real diamonds why bother paying for them so much more?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit