JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES AND JADE JEWELRY

by HappyDad 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

There's a local obsession with amber jewellry. I think a pioneer lady with some influence in a local congregation (she also advocates the washing of the hair in potato-water) wears it with prominence. I've noticed some of the "sisters" have followed suit.

• timmycat
    timmycat

My sister in law is a witness of over thirty years and loves jade, was a gift from my brother to her in the 70's. My thought on this would be some unbalanced nutter that saw some freaky connection Satan and jade, china and the colour jade which is used in some ceromies in new year and healing. Kricky.

• logic
    logic

Whether JWS realize it or not, they are superstious. Superstition is the a belief or beliefs justified by neither evidence or reason nor by any religious canon. In the sixties , literature came out about demon possesion etc., and of course JWS made an even bigger deal out it. They would not shop in secondhand stores, would not take items from some individuals, including fellow JWS. Some thought their homes were haunted and so on. It was the craziest thing I had seen. An example of this was my brother and sister in law. They thought their house was haunted and kept comming over to my house bothering me. Finally I borrowed their key, went into their attic an found a piece of wood that was blowing back and forth from the wind blowing through their attic vent. This kind of bull was common among the JWS I knew. The society uses everything they can to get people in this mindset. That is why you can't reason with them, they think you are posessed, go figure.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lots of Jade in the Great White North..I wore jade cufflinks and tiepins at the Kingdom Hall & Assemblys..No one ever said a word...OUTLAW

• Watkins
    Watkins

It is as 'logic' said - it's crazy superstitions. And as 'timmycat' said - unbalanced nutters!(btw, love your avatar pic - is that your cat? Cool!) It seems to me that really - every rock, mineral, plant, animal, everything under the sun - it's all been the subject of someone's adoration sometime in the history of this planet. Have you seen this site - [url]http://demonbuster.com/index2.html[/url] ? You think JW's are superstitious - wait till you get a load of this... LOL... some people think paisley fabric designs are EVIL! There are a lot of crazies out there.

Odd that there's this thread and the one I started - maybe last weeks' WT topic got us thinking outside that WT mental-cage-of-a box. Thinking, living, loving, being - it's great isn't it?

Since leaving the witnesses, I've found a counter-balance to the fear that was pounded into us week after WT week - and that is: NO FEAR of things unfounded! It's taken some time, but now I have a solid faith in God, more trust in Him than ever - more than I ever imagined, as a witness, that I'd ever ever have. And I never thought I'd be 'good' enough to feel His love - never. But now I do feel it - or I could say that now I know His love through Christ. It's certainly a welcome change of heart and mind - much healthier I'd say.

Find your balance, folks, and keep it!

~Watkins~

• aniron
    aniron

Why should the superstition held by Eastern culture be applied to me in the West?

If I buy a piece of jade I do so because it looks nice, not because I believe it going to bring me luck or whatever.

• Sasha
    Sasha

I do believe I've heard it all now!!! The most rediculous thing of the day!!!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Let us not get carried away here ! The Watchtower has never said (at least not in living memory ) the things attributed to it in this thread . Perhaps individuals may have, but that is not the same. Every organization has its share of crackpots.

It no doubt counselled against using jade or birthstones out of superstition or if the motive were because it was "lucky" We all know their stance on things like that. But to stop wearing jade as jewellery? No they never said it..

The Awake article referred to above actually came to this conclusion at the end {Please quote accurately if you select portions to post}

. In the Bible jade is mentioned at Ezekiel 28:13 as being one of the precious stones that decorated the "covering" of the king of Tyre. And Exodus 28:15, 20, 21 shows that a beautiful jade stone with the name of one of Israel’s twelve tribes engraved upon it adorned the "breastpiece of judgment" worn by Israel’s high priest Aaron. The book of Exodus was written around 1512 B.C.E., so for at least 3,400 years jade has been known and valued by man, sometimes superstitiously, but always as one of earth’s delightful productions with which God has gifted his human creatures.

Awake 22/3/70 p12

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit