JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES AND JADE JEWELRY

by HappyDad 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Can someone help me out here.

I had to listen to JW craziness starting in 1960 when my mother started studying. Recently, I was reading Paul and Pat Blizard's website and came across "101 Strange Beliefs and Practices of Jehovah's Witnesses". Granted.......some of these beliefs have gone by the wayside because of Bud Light.... I mean New Light! But when I came to number 63. You cannot wear jade jewelry, something in my memory bank became active and I remembered my mother talking about that over 40 years ago.

Problem is......I don't remember why this was a belief and can't find any reference anywhere.

I'm sure someone else has heard this among many of the other crazy beliefs. I'll be patiently waiting for an answer.

Thanks fellow JWDers.

HappyDad

• juni
    juni

Sorry I can't help you HappyDad, but I'm sure someone will have an answer.

Juni

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Awake-1970-March-22-p.9 Why her satisfaction? Well, the little ornaments were of jade, and she herself had seen to it that the little granddaughter wore them for protection. Indeed, many Chinese believe that if a person wears jade and is involved in any sort of accident, the jade will be broken but itswearer will enjoy protection. No wonder, then, that grandmother noted this apparent confirmation of her superstitionwith that “I told you so” attitude! The Chinese came to think of jadeas being of supernatural origin, and hence as something that might be used to promote intercourse with heaven and propitiate the heavenlypowers. But aside from the superstitions attaching to jade, it is, in fact, a most beautiful stone. http://m1.freeshare.us/view/?143fs686726.jpg Nevada-

• Mulan
    Mulan

This is news to me. I have a lot of jade jewelry and always have had. I was a JW since I was four years old............1950, so it must be someone's weird private viewpoint..........not so private evidently.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I remember this. Yep, it's true. My mother would not wear Jade.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Atlantis,

(Ask JWD and ye shall recieve the answer) Thank you so much for the reference. Yep........that's it!

Holy $hite.............they could take the most harmless thing and make you think that you are/were demon possessed.

HappyDad

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Gold is almost always associated with the sun-god in polytheistic cultures - why didn't the tower ban gold?

• Watkins
    Watkins

It's the same deal with 'birthstone' jewelry too, then, isn't it? Seems I remember something about the 'good luck' the wearing of such jewelry is supposed to afford the wearer and how a 'true Christian' would want to avoid anything like that. Didn't stop the women in my KH from lusting after all the fine jewelry their husbands could afford - and with the expense of Christmas and birthdays out of the way - it was a lot! As long as the rock wasn't their birthstone, I guess it's OK. Sheeesh.

Superstitions - that's all it is. Oh and crazy, yeah - plumb crazy.

~Watkins~

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>The Chinese came to think of jade ... as something that might be used to promote intercourse

Anybody know where I can score some jade?!?!? ;-)

Dave

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Another fine example of where the Tower creates problems where none existed. Jade and wind chimes were supposed to protect people from demons (I guess they work, because no one who wears jade or has wind chimes ever gets attacked by demons. By the same token, www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com protects people that look there from demons since I have never heard of anyone who visits that site ever being attacked by a demon.

In spite of the obvious non-sequitor, the Tower goes ahead and bans it anyway. Their view is that ONLY Jehovah is allowed to protect people from demons, and His protection (if there is even any) is contingent on so many things that all you get is Him controling everything you do. And He might just decide to be a Baghead and not provide the "protection(?)" in an attempt to extort even more concessions from people. At least the jade never asks its wearers to do ever more in the ministry in a vain attempt to gain its protection.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit